Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
17 Hydroxy Progesterone Shots - for preventing PTL

I am bumping this up because I am suppose to start the shots this week. The nurse just called that the prescription just came in today.

Anymore experiences?

Thanks
Julie

So I just wanted any personal experiences. I don't really want to be talked into or out of it because I have already decided to do it, I just wondered what mama's experiences have been. I know it is really new (it wasn't available in my area a year ago when I had my son), but I figure there are mamas here now that might have experience with it.

I heard the weekly shots really hurt (I heard this from my friends that use it for fertility treatments).

So where do you get the shots - are they in the rump? I know that I need to go into Kaiser to get them - so they won't be at home.

Just looking for info.

I would love for this baby to go longer than 34 weeks, and I would LOVE no bedrest.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by fish3737; 01-10-2008 at 02:45 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 17 Hydroxy Progesteron Shots - for preventing PTL

not trying to talk you into or out of anything, i have no opinion on the effectiveness nor do i have any information on the subject, but i've also heard the shots hurt, i hope its just people being over sensitive, because they do sound painful!!! But i know theres some mamas on here that have used them... good luck to you!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am currently getting them. I started at 18 weeks and get one once a week. So far, they seem to be helping in that I haven't started dilating. I am contracting a lot, more than I did with either of my 1st two pregnancies. The difference being that I was funneling by 20 weeks with dd2 and so far, even with all the contractions, my cervix is still closed this time. At this point in my last pregnancy, I ended up in the hospital for a week with PTL and then sent home on turb and bedrest until I delivered at 35 weeks. While I haven't had to go on complete bedrest, I DO really take it easy. Occasional light housecleaning followed by having to rest for a long time. Occasional shopping trip followed by laying down the rest of the day and evening. So even though I don't have to be on bedrest, activity comes with a price.

Now, the shot itself. They always give it to me on the upper part of the butt, a few inches to the side of the tailbone. I alternate sides. Honestly, up until yesterday, I would have said that it really didn't hurt. Just a little stick. Well, it depends on the nurse giving it to you. My usual nurse is awesome! She will do it very slowly and it doesn't hurt at all! And no reaction later. I had this other nurse do it twice and I don't know what she did wrong, but about a week later I would end up with the worst itchy rash where she did it. Well, yesterday, I had the "not so good" nurse again. She jammed that needle in hard and just pushed in the solution fast. It hurt so bad I could barely drive home Fortunately, it felt better by the time I went to bed last night. I would compare the last one with how the steroid shots felt. Really bad!

I'll be getting them until I'm 36 weeks. It is strange to think I may go to term! Kinda scary! Anyway, if you have any other questions, ask away! I can only comment on my experience and I still have a couple of months to go...

Last edited by hsjwmom; 12-13-2007 at 10:07 PM.
hsjwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hsjwmom - Were you preterm with both of your previous pregnancies?

BTW - Great information - thank you!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I don't have anything to add as I have no experience with it. I just wanted to offer and say that I hope they help and you get a long and healthy pregnancy!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

hsjwmom - Were you preterm with both of your previous pregnancies?

Yes. Here are the somewhat long stories...

With my 1st, I didn't realize what I was experiencing was contractions. The weird thing is, my midwife sent me to get monitored and the placement of the belts were such that they didn't pick up my contractions. I tend to contract just on the lower part of my belly. With that one, I went into full-blown labor at 32 weeks. After they gave my about 3 different drugs to stop it (all at once) I kept right on progressing. Just when the doc gave up and said I'd have her by that night, the contractions finally stopped. I had to stay on Mag Sulphate for 3 weeks in the hospital. Everytime they tried to wean me off of it, I'd start contracting again. They took me off the mag at 35 weeks because the baby had a really bad decel while I was getting a bio physical profile. I had her about 5 hrs after they stopped the Mag.

With my 2nd, I started funnelling at 20 weeks. I was devestated. I had been told that the PTL was probably a fluke and that everything should go fine this time. Whatever. I was basically told to take it easy and come in more frequently. Well, again, I ended up in the hospital with contractions that wouldn't stop, this time around 27-28 weeks. They put me on the Mag again and I stayed on it about a week in the hospital. This time they were able to wean me off the mag and onto turbutaline. I took that every 3hrs until I delivered at 35 weeks, 1 day. (I took my last dose at midnight Sunday. I delivered 8ish Monday evening)

So, it really is a miracle that I haven't landed in the hospital or on bedrest yet!

Anywho...I have a 3d ultrasound to leave for in 15 minutes and I am not dressed yet!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks hsjwmom for all your great information - I hope you make it to term!!!!!

Any other mamas - I am curious to see when people started getting the shots as well. How long they lasted off of bedrest.

Thanks

Last edited by fish3737; 12-15-2007 at 09:58 AM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Kels5kids
Registered Users
Formerly: Kels4kids
seller

My Mood:

I am not familiar with this but I am going to look into it. Had PTL with my last 3 babies. I did make it to 38 weeks, 37 weeks and 36 weeks. I was on Procardia for 10 + weeks with the last 2 kids and had a thinned out cervix both times to. I am terrified of having a premature baby even though I have not had one thus far.

I say if it works and it doesn't effect the baby GO FOR IT!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Any more experiences??
Old 01-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
fish3737
Registered Users
seller