Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
jmiasi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 17 Hydroxy Progesterone Shots - for preventing PTL

I haven't posted on the Pregnancy board yet but I do often on Diaper Chatter... I have been getting the 17P shots since week 16 (I think it was week 16...) and I've noticed a huge improvment since my last pregnancy. I am currently a little over 31 weeks pregnant and have yet to have a L&D trip - which I am so proud of!! I was on the terb pump with Ava's pregnancy and delivered her at 36 weeks (just 2 days after the pump was taken off).

I still do contract while on the 17P shots but not nearly as often as I did with Ava's pregnancy. I've also avoided best rest this time around too (was on it from week 14 to week 36 with Ava!!). The shots themselves don't hurt. The needles may look a little scary but they really don't hurt. You have to be sure you inject it VERY slowly as it's a very thick 'solution' and would hurt if you forced it in fast. My husband give them to me every week at home (one of my nurses showed him how). This saves me a trip to the clinic every week. Now that I've been getting them for so long my butt is starting to get more sore afterwards but it's not bad. I alternate sides also but lately have been doing 2 in my left side, then 1 in the right... for some reason I contract more during the weeks I get it in my right side (the group of moms that also get this shot that I talk to have noticed similar experiences). Another interesting side effect is the lack of hair growth I've had on my legs, ect... It's SOOO nice haha. I hardly have to shave at all!! Some of the other moms have noticed the same.

All in all, this shot has been a huge blessing and I'm very thankful as it's made this pregnancy much more enjoyable!!! My last shot is at 36 weeks (Feb. 14th!).

Advertisement

Last edited by jmiasi; 01-12-2008 at 04:07 PM.
jmiasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

jmiasi,

We are in almost the exact spot! I'm due the 10th and have been getting the shot since 18 weeks. I've noticed an increase in contractions the past week or so, but still no trips to L&D!

I just wanted to comment on your siggy...where you said that you are expecting to deliver shortly after your last injection... Um, hate to disappoint you, but this is what my doctor's office has said: The patients that have been on them get their last shot at 36 weeks and have ALL gone to 39 - 40 weeks!!! Every single one of them. They were about to induce one of the last ones on it I informed them that barring an emergency, I would NOT be letting them induce, so we are going to discuss stopping the shot a week early. I just wanted to give you a heads up, just in case! I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but that has been the experience at our office.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
jmiasi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
jmiasi,

We are in almost the exact spot! I'm due the 10th and have been getting the shot since 18 weeks. I've noticed an increase in contractions the past week or so, but still no trips to L&D!

I just wanted to comment on your siggy...where you said that you are expecting to deliver shortly after your last injection... Um, hate to disappoint you, but this is what my doctor's office has said: The patients that have been on them get their last shot at 36 weeks and have ALL gone to 39 - 40 weeks!!! Every single one of them. They were about to induce one of the last ones on it I informed them that barring an emergency, I would NOT be letting them induce, so we are going to discuss stopping the shot a week early. I just wanted to give you a heads up, just in case! I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but that has been the experience at our office.
That's so funny!!! My peri clinic has said that majority of their moms delivered 7 to 10 days after their last shot!! After I went off my terb pump I delivered 2 days later. Last week I forgot to have hubby give me the shot on my normal day (Thursday) and by Friday morning I was contracting every 3 min's! I had to have him come home from work to give me the shot as they were getting too strong. So - we'll see what happens. If this baby stays in longer I will be thrilled though... I want to be able to take him home with me (which I couldn't do with Ava... she was in the NICU for a week).

I guess it's just a waiting game haha...
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies - good stories!!

I was really worried about the shots, but it went just fine. The nurse was really nice and she did a great job. I told her to go slowly and she laughed that it was so thick that that was the only speed should could go.

I had allergy shots for seven years so I am pretty tough with shots, but at the same time I hate them.

I hope my pregnancy will be the same success story as others.

Thanks