Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

any experience with minipill/overactive letdown?

has anyone had experience with the mini pill inhibiting overactive letdown/over supply issues? when my son was a few weeks old, he started explosively vomiting practically all of his feeding, probably a few times a week. sometimes more, sometimes less. he is in the 99th+ percentile for weight, and almost there for height, so the doctors have never been worried about it. he continued this as he got older, though it became less frequent.

when i started the mini pill, he was three months old, and (though i never made the connection before yesterday) he has not vomited his feeding since, so almost three whole months. i stopped taking my mini pill last thursday night (i went out of town for a long weekend and forgot them at home, so i decided that i would stop them altogether, which is what i've wanted to do all along). after about a day and a half since my last pill, i noticed an increase in supply. my letdowns were more painful, longer, and i even had a random letdown again, which hasn't happend in a LONG time (aka, since i started the pill). sooooo, to make a long story short, my son explosively vomited his first feeding of the day, all over me and our bed

do you think it's possible that the pill inhibits my supply enough to make this big of a difference in just a few days? if it does, then *sniff sniff* i may have to start it up again. i don't want to drown my son with my super boobs, but i also really dislike taking that pill! i think i will have more luck TTA a pregnancy charting than with the mini pill. do you have any advice?

(i've already called my LC and am waiting for a call back, so i'll post what she says when she calls in case anyone else is dealing with overactive letdown/over supply.)

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Re: any experience with minipill/overactive letdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither

i don't want to drown my son with my super boobs

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice, but that just made me choke on my lunch laughing.

Hope you figgure it out!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

I'll be watching this thread, be sure to let us know what you hear from your LC.

I've been having a horrible time with my little one's teeth lately and my LLL leader figured out that he is pulling back to try to avoid being swept away by the milk river and that's when the teeth scrape on my nipple I haven't always had this problem and I used to be on the mini-pill, I wonder if there is any connection?

Good post!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

ok, so i talked to my LC and she said that ABSOLUTELY it is tied to the minipill! she said that the minipill is so effective in correcting oversupply/overactive letdown, that it's now the most commonly recommended method to stablize your supply/flow. she said that the other thing i could do is to pump off the first letdown before i nurse (yeah right, pumping is a loathsome activity).

i'm going to do some research on using natural remedies to cure my oversupply. i have heard that peppermint reduces supply, so i'm thinking maybe a couple mugs of peppermint tea a day might help?

i'm hopping over to kellymom.com right now to see if there are any articles about this. if it comes down to it, i will take the minipill, though i really don't want to. my son really enjoys nursing and it's such a great part of our day to really slow down and be together- so i don't want to have to pull him off after only five minutes, i feel so bad for him i'll continue to post any helpful info i find!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

here is what kellymom.com has to say about the subject:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

i think i'm going to try letting the milk flow into a cloth diaper during that first forceful letdown and see how that helps. i'm also going to start drinking a mug of peppermint tea a day and see if i notice a difference.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
mommyish
Registered Users

I have heard that using gravity to your advantage helps in this kind of situation. Position baby so that he is drawing milk upwards, as opposed to laying/reclining and the milk is overflowing into his mouth.
mommyish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks for your responses ladies! things have been pretty good today, no vomiting yet. and mommyish, i'll definitely try to learn a new hold where he's working against the flow. thanks!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
mommyish
Registered Users

hope it works out for the best!
mommyish is offline   Reply With Quote