Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
My3LuckyCharms
Registered Users
seller

Ways to increase my supply

This is my third baby and the first time I have had this issue. With my first 2 I always had an overabundance of milk and never once supplemented. Last week I had a plugged duct and thought the beginning of mastitis. Since then my supply seems to have decreased. I started drinking Mother's Milk tea and increasing my water intake and frequency of nursing. Any other suggestions for boosting my supply?

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ways to increase my supply

You've already done the most important thing (increased frequency of nursing).
You could pump after nursing to make sure that your breasts are completely drained. You could also try Fenugreek, Milk/blessed thistle (both of which are in Mother's milk tea in small doses), beer (I do the non-alcoholic variety) or brewer's yeast, or oatmeal or oatmeal cookies (old-fashioned kind). Those are the things that I can think of off the top of my head.
BTW, why do you think that your milk supply has decreased? Is the baby having fewer wet/poopy diapers?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
My3LuckyCharms
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, I think I am going to try the brewer's yeast, oatmeal and I have an O'Douls at home. I have been getting a lot less milk when I am pumping and she just doesn't seem to be getting a lot when nursing. She is constantly pulling away like she is frustrated and I am barely feeling a let down. Her stomach seems to be grumbly quite a bit like she is hungry. Her poops have decreased slightly but she seems ok on wet dipes. I have nothing against FF but I just really don't want to supplement so I will do what I can.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have good luck pumping to increase my supply. I hate doing it, but it helps even if I just pump off the extra from the first morning feed when I'm pretty full.

My supply seems to fluctuate. When I have tons of milk I can feed one side only per feeding, after a while of doing that, my production goes down and I end up feeding on both sides every feeding which brings it up and around and around we go. It also fluctuates depending on how many nights ds sleeps through since that is always changing too
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The same thing happened to me both times I got mastitis. It will come back. Pump after every feed, and try starting on that same boob for a couple feeds in a row every once in a while.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
My3LuckyCharms
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies, my supply seems to be increasing gradually.