Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

CDing the TINY newborns *pics and reviews*

Here's my comparison so far of what's worked for us!

Thought this might help some mamas...

Nicholas was born 5lbs 9oz, came home at 5lbs 2oz, and is up to 6.5 pounds now. Preemie clothes were even too big on him (he was 17 inches long), so for the first week I went nuts revamping - my beautiful stash engulfed him...

First my shameless "look at my baby" plug:
Nicholas:

And on to the diapers:
Small snap ez
6 pounds:

6.5 lbs:

These are great. had a couple blowouts when he was 5.5-6 pounds, but now at 6.5lbs there's no gapping, I don't have to overstuff them to get them to fit around the legs. They are fairly trim with a mf insert in them. Work great under clothes... and Overnight I use them stuffed with a mf insert and a trifolded mf towel. they go 6 hours without a leak, wicking, or feeling even damp on the outside... and he loooooves to pee at night. Good investment, he's now on the tightest snap settings and they'll fit for a while!

5.5lbs:
preemie pf trifolded in preemie prorap

Proraps preemie left red marks on his sides since they were too big so I had to overlap the tabs...they looked loose and bulky but no gaps. They held his BF poo. A 5.5lb baby's umbilical cord is still VERY rubbed by the cover even with the dip. Now they would work on him, but I got rid of them to get more wool since it works better for tiny babies IMO.

5.5lbs
newborn nana's bottoms

Loved these...for about two weeks. Rise is a bit higher, best to use once umbilical falls off. DH wouldn't let me put him in these (except for pics) until his cord fell off...worried it'd rub it...They fit perfectly and still did (on the tightest velcro) when I got rid of them at 6.5lbs. Then he just peed right through them in one pee... AIOs aren't absorbant enough for him anymore...

5.5lbs
Newborn swaddlebees ov fitted

LOVED these for the smaller baby. All his other fitteds gapped at the legs till he gained a good pound. These were decent in terms of absorbancy and cute as can be. The leg openings are smaller than the rise, that's where babies will outgrow them. At 6.3 lbs he was on the middle snap setting on the top, the last snap setting on the bottom. Great snap-down for the umbilical cord and very trim considering.

I gave up on prefolds because he's was so squirmy, but this is how they fit him (well, but not absorbant enough for more than one pee)
pinned preemie prefold (jelly roll)

Now, at 6.5 lbs he is getting less squirmy and I can get some awesome pins on him (only use one pin though) - still not absorbent enough even with a doubler

snappi'd preemie prefold (jelly roll)

Snappis are a joke for tiny babies. there was no tension and the bottom couldn't hook without hitting his crotch. These got tossed into the "next size" bucket.

KL0s

These started fitting a couple days ago at 6.5 lbs. Tightest snap setting and SO FLUFFY. I love putting his bum in them, and his explosive bf poo (he's had some dooseys in these) is yet to leak on bit. Couldn't use these when he had his cord since they were too big, but the snap down makes them very useable then! I do recommend buying these new as I did - I've noticed all the ones I hunt on FSOT have looser elastic... I'm curious if in a month his will look similar. I got a dozen new colors shipped at precious beginnings for $124.00. Good investment, he's now on the tightest snap settings and they'll fit for a while!

xs Sandies

Similar review to the KL0s. Less fluffy, about as absorbent, a bit cheaper. No umbilical snap down and makes the crotch look a touch wonky under fitting woolies. Good investment, he's now on the tightest snap settings and they'll fit for a while!
-- sorry for the odd pic angle, he was nursing --

Woolies

Wool = Love on tiny babies. It fits them regardless and if it is loose, it still does the job. It's worth chancing a possible blowout (only had a little one here and I used a bar on the wool - came out great). However in terms of avoiding blowouts, fitteds are a must unless you perfect the prefolding so you get them insanely tight.

Also, with smaller babies, wool is great because their temperature fluxes a lot as anyone who has had a smaller baby can attest to, and if it drops they have problems breathing etc. Longies allowed us to keep him warm with a long sleeve shirt and one blanket swaddling him. Sleepsacks weren't an option as they ALL fell off his tiny shoulders. Now, at one month though, the sleep sacks work great and he doesn't like to be swaddled.

Sleeping today:

best wool measurements:
waist: 12-15
rise: 13
inseam: 5.5 (these were a bit long on him since he was so short but they worked great and gave them a longer life as he has grown so that you can see his feet now)

Any questions? If you read this far, I'm impressed I'm such a babbler. I hadn't had an opportunity to post this thread for some time, but he's sick and asleep:

Advertisement

Last edited by mommytaylor; 12-14-2007 at 03:13 PM.
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: CDing the TINY newborns *pics and reviews*

I your baby - he is so sweet. I was due a year ago today (she didn't come until the 19th) so I'm feeling the new born love. Thanks for the pics, I'll have to check back once I get a BFP.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Awesome...and he's such a doll! It's great to know how everything fits a tiny babe IRL! Thanks!
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
ilovemyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little one is only 6 months old and those pics are making me ooze for another one! Soooo sweet!!! I wish that I would have been more into CDing with this one.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
jmiasi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my gosh!!! He is SOOOO cute!!! Thank you for the awesome reviews too!!!! I'm expecting a boy in Feb/March and I'm just starting to build my stash!

Jen
jmiasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh.

My.

God.

He is so stinking adorable. Must TTC soooooon! Oh dearest DH...get over here!!!!

Last edited by FancifulFanny; 12-14-2007 at 03:28 PM.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thread. I love the pics of you beautiful baby.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he's adorable...we had the same problems with dd-she came home at 5lbs....and loved the nb sb fitteds and preemie LL aios
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
naysakalea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He is a beautiful baby boy!! I'm about to have my first boy (I have 2 girls) any day now(edd tomorrow) and cannot wait!!
The reviews are great!!
naysakalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for posting! Both of my LO were 5lbs at birth, and I didn't start cd until dd was 10 months. Just seeing what works on a tiny baby will be great for the next go round. I have some preemie proraps, but I can see that I am going to have to find a different cover

Your LO is so sweet!