Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
anabellee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding a Newborn

i never woke up ds2. he was fine and gained 3lbs by the time he was 8wks old.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of the reasons for BFing every 2 hrs or close together in the first few days/week is to help bring in the milk and help with supply.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
mom2brooke
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyCat View Post
My DS had jaundice which causes them to be sleepy... sleepy to the point of not eating enough and not noticing or not feeling the hunger. A newborn's tummy is too small to take in much so they do NEED to feed that often. That said, if you baby is bigger and/or gaining well, I wouldn't worry if they slept 4 hours at a stretch vs 2-3. I would be concerned if they slept much longer than that because (with the small stomach) they can't really "make up" a feeding by eating 2x as much later, KWIM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
One of the reasons for BFing every 2 hrs or close together in the first few days/week is to help bring in the milk and help with supply.
I completely agree with these 2 statements, as well as much of the others. As long as baby is gaining well, and your Dr. isn't pushing to supplement, and there's no jaundice, I'd say let 'em sleep.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
normajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post

that was my understanding as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They had me wake up LO. I'm convinced if they want me to do that again I'll buy a stupid baby scale and weigh at the beginning and end of everyday. If LO continues to drop, I'll wake for feedings. I can see the not enough energy to eat, but most babies I think would wake just fine.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If more than 3-4 hours went by, I would often wake for 2 reasons...
1- to establish my milk supply (only in the first week)
2- because I wanted those longer sleep periods to happen at night, not daytime
That said... if I had the baby out running around, and she kept sleeping, I just kept doing my errands! (she was very cooperative)

I think when they're newborn, they're just exhausted. All of 'em. Being born is hard work... let 'em sleep!
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
They had me wake up LO. I'm convinced if they want me to do that again I'll buy a stupid baby scale and weigh at the beginning and end of everyday. If LO continues to drop, I'll wake for feedings. I can see the not enough energy to eat, but most babies I think would wake just fine.
Haha yeah that's almost how I feel! Thankfully I had no trouble with supply the first time, just the whole "sleepy baby" thing.

I think I'll try and resist waking baby up at night unless I see any problems!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

My first was a sleepy baby. I did feel the need to wake him up and keep him awake to nurse, but that was my instinct. The ped said he won't starve himself and was probably right. I did not, however, wake him up at 2 hour intervals at night. As I recall, I fed him when he woke up during the night, which at first was about every 4 hours. I think he was a sleepy baby because I was medicated during labor.
My second was very different. He was very alert and I just followed his ques. I think it ended up being about every two hours during the day and every 4 at night. This didn't seem too bad, as we coslept and I didn't have to fully rouse at night.
So to sum it up, I would say it is safe to follow your baby's signs and if your instincts tell you differently, do that instead.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #19
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Newborns are sleepy because being born is hard work! Also, if you have any pain medication during childbirth, it will affect your baby, too.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #20
LissAnne
Registered Users
seller

DS1 was a big baby (9 lbs 14 oz at birth) and WOULD NOT wake up. Seriously. He was terrible, and I had an unmedicated birth so no drugs effecting him. My midwife was concerned about my milk supply and I was concerned about him not eating enough. He never cried, he just didn't care about nursing! He slept through the night his first night (we came home just a few hrs after he was born) and I woke up the next morning and freaked out! He lost quite a bit of weight as well, and we battled with milk production issues for the first month or so.

Now, DS2 did not have the same problem. He wasn't as big as his brother, and he slept a good stretch after he was born, but after that, he definitely let us know when he was hungry! I wouldn't have woken him because I knew he would wake when he needed to.

So I would say that until your milk supply is well-established, it's good to make sure they are regularly nursing, but otherwise, I think you'll know if a baby needs to be woken up or not. It was pretty obvious that we needed to wake DS1, but I never considered it with DS2.
LissAnne is offline   Reply With Quote