Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #21
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding a Newborn

Frequent feedings help clear the bilirubin from their bloodstream, which gets rid of the jaundice. Also, the frequent feedings are as much for you as for your lo. Your milk is just coming in when they are brand new, and every time your lo nurses it's like putting his order in for more milk. Your breasts adjust how much milk to make in the future by how much your lo nurses now. So if you don't frequently nurse for the first couple weeks or until your milk supply is established you may end up with supply problems. Newborns are all sleepy, and they all tend to fall asleep at the breast and sleep a lot in general. Crying is a late stage of hunger, and you should feed your lo before they get to the crying stage. They will let you know when they are hungry. If they are sleeping, you can look for increased movement, even if they don't awaken. If they are awake, putting hand near mouth, rooting, and smacking lips are all signs of hunger. It's better to watch for these cues instead of waiting for crying, and feed your lo on demand. If you are vigilant looking for these hunger cues you probably WILL end up feeding your lo every few hours, anywhere from eight to twelve times a day, without watching the clock.

Advertisement

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07

Last edited by lulusmom; 12-17-2007 at 02:49 AM.
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #22
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedgyal View Post
I plan on EBFing dd#2 who is due in February. Now when dd#1 was born she was a "sleepy baby". I had to force her to wake up just to nurse the first few days. Does anyone know what causes this?

I was told constantly that I *had* to wake her up every 2 hours to nurse. So that's what I did; but now I'm wondering why they told me to do that? I remember dd's pedi telling me it was just to insure that she gained weight. But is that really necessary? I was terrified that I would starve her, but in hindsight it just wouldn't make sense for dd to let herself starve, kwim? I'd like to get more sleep this time around if it isn't that big of a deal...any thoughts?
I think waking them every 2 hours is more to protect your milk supply at the beginning of bfeeding.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from what i understood...for the first 2 weeks they will sleep through their hunger cues...thats why you should wake them. My ped said every 2-3 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. After the first 2 weeks then let them sleep as much as they want.