Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cool Stinky diapers? Try this - it works!

Dealing with smell issues,? Before you try vinegar or baking soda or tea tree oil, before you strip with Dawn or put diapers in your dishwasher , before you go in search of the umpteenth recommended detergent, try this:
USE MORE DETERGENT

Yep, this is my friendly little Public Service Announcement. It is in no way directed at any individual, but at the many many threads on stinky diapers that show up on this site.

I know that the received wisdom is that we should use significantly less than the recommended amount of detergent on our diapers. I've heard amounts as low as one teaspoon discussed here. To be frank, I really don't know why we should do this. Detergent and hot water are good. They get out dirt and they sanitize. In the world of dipes, those are happy things.

But what about "build-up", I hear you say? Well, I'm sure some people have experienced it, but I read far fewer posts about actual "build-up" (ie. "help, something is coating my diapers and stopping them working!") than about smell (ie. "help, my diapers stink!"). Personally (just my opinion) I think that build-up is something of a myth. Yes, I said it! Ha ha!

If your diapers are smelling bad, you aren't getting all the nasties out that cause the smells. That necessitates more detergent. Try being really bold and using half the recommended amount. If that doesn't work, try using closer to the recommended amount. What's the worst that can happen?

(Okay, the worst that could happen is that your diapers could be so saturated with soap that they won't rinse clean, and that means some possibility of skin irritation. Solution? Do an extra rinse or two and use less detergent next time.)

You don't see doctors scrubbing up for an operation with just hot water and a dot of soap. Clean is achieved through hot water and a cleaning agent. If you are dealing with diaper stink, I believe that using more detergent should be the first thing you try. If it doesn't work, then move onto all the cleaning variations that the kind mamas here will offer.

Just my two cents! And hope this helps someone.

Disclaimer: if your system works for you with very little detergent, then great! If you've already tried using more detergent and it doesn't work, then lack of soap isn't your problem. If you're already using a cup of detergent then I doubt that you need to use more. And if you really truly have the dreaded "build-up", then... happy stripping!

Advertisement

Last edited by kitscha; 12-15-2007 at 10:56 AM.
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stinky diapers? Try this - it works!

Yup, I am totally with you. I think most cases of "buildup" are really bacteria. Controversial!

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I totally agree with you as well! Great post momma
Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

yep!!!!!!!!!!
the best thing is to do full amount of detergent with a few wash cycles to get all the detergent out. sometimes you just got to use more detergent to get those stinkies out.

AGREED
Old 12-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmaurer3 View Post
yep!!!!!!!!!!
the best thing is to do full amount of detergent with a few wash cycles to get all the detergent out. sometimes you just got to use more detergent to get those stinkies out.
And I'll say not to even worry about getting all that detergent out. Most, yeah, but don't look for bubbles. Honest. If you go to pull the dipes out and theyr'e crunchy or something, ok, do another wash, but otherwise just leave it. A slight bit of detergent left in the dipes is a GOOD thing, provided it doesn't irritate your child. I wouldn't use a full amount on rare occasion and a tiny amount normally -- find the good quantity that keeps you stink free permanently.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Man, I am so glad to see this thread. Honestly, I've always wondered how on earth one tablespoon of Tide can REALLY get poop and pee out of a diaper. I keep getting stink, and I keep cutting down on the detergent, but really, why? How can THREE WHOLE TABLESPOONS of deterget really make my diapers stink?
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

here here!
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

*searches frantically for worshipping smiley*

*can't find it*

HUZZAH!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Lol, thanks. I've gotten flamed for suggesting using more than the teaspoon of dawn that everyone is recommending. We only use dawn b/c regular soap irritates his skin.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote