Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Delaney21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
CD success rate?

My first baby is due in December, but I've already bought my stash and I can't wait till he gets here so I can use them. Everytime I tell someone that I'm going to CD, they laugh and tell me that I'll quit within a few months so I'm wasting my money. I'm very committed to CDing and it doesn't seem hard to me, but I haven't done it yet.

So...if you had to guess, what do you think the CD success rate is? What are the main reasons people quit CDing?

Advertisement

Delaney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: CD success rate?

I am expecting my second in February. I've been told the same thing. Tell me there is hope!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some people stop because it's more work. Less convienent. Also because they didn't research it. When I tried with my dd all I could find was the Gerber stuff at walmart. If I would have had aio's or even just wrap covers I think that I would have continued.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

People told me I'd stop when he started eating 'real' food and we're still going strong. I think the people that say that stuff are just ignorant to what drives us to use CD in the first place. There's hope!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, my DB and SIL quit after a few weeks, but I'm not quite sure why... I think they didn't have good washing situation at the time, and when they switched to sposies they wouldn't/don't change their boys verry often (every 4-6 hours at least!) so maybe they didn't like having to change more often (2-3 hours in cloth max, right?)?
Still, my best friend is using cloth and would NEVER switch to sposies, and I can't imagine ever using sposies either.... I think you just have to be commited, experiment with different types of diapers to figure out what you like, and get a good, easy washing system.

~Kelsie
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
aklausmeier
Registered Users

I know with me, with my first I tried prefolds and Gerber plastic pants from Wal-mart too. That only lasted a few months. We didn't have a diaper service in town and I just hated it. My dh wasn't very supportive of them either. When we finally decided to go with pocket diapers it stuck. We love using cloth diapers now! My husband doesn't understand why anyone would use disposables now
Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm guessing some people get tired of doing extra laundry. That's the only thing I don't like about it.
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

In the US, something like only 3% of the population CD's!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations! I'm impressed that you're already ready. I think that says a lot.

I didn't cloth diaper our first. I didn't even know that the kind of cloth diapers I'm using existed. I started CD when our son was 10 months old and have never thought of quiting. I did get frustrated for at least 3 weeks around 11 months old because we had lots of issues with leaks. I was so thrilled by then though with the progress I'd seen in his skin and had read too much to put him back in disposables. I do think it takes a commitment, like anything worthwhile. I also think you have to experiment and be willing to give up on a few systems until you find what works. The day we got our first SEZ in the mail I knew I'd found my perfect system. Fit our son like they were made for him. CD has been much easier since then for us.

Good luck with your baby and CD!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I think lack of support and information is the main reason people quit. Same with breastfeeding, IMO. That won't be a problem for you mommas because you have us! You'll do great with it.