Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
Monkeylunchkin
Registered Users
seller

Re: CD success rate?

We used a diaper service with DD until she was a year and stopped because she was in daycare part time (they only take disposables) and she was getting too mobile for me to cope with prefolds, snappis and covers. I didn't think washing our own was an option because we live in an apartment with communal washers, and the service plus sposies was getting expensive.
I also found prefolds and covers really bulky under her clothes.

This time around we've bought a bunch of pockets and plan to wash our own, and we're even going with cloth for DD again following some great ideas and inspiration from you ladies

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

I think once you find the right system, you will stick with it. It took a month for me to figure out what I really liked and now that I have, I can't imagine going back to sposies. DH thinks sposies are nasty now and always comments on how much they stink...

It is a committment, but definitely one worth making. If I had to guess, I would say that most ppl give up b/c they don't have the support or doing laundry is too difficult...

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ditto the others, I think lack of information, support, and commitment are the reasons people quit. I didn't start CDing until my DD was 20 months, and everyone said it would last a week. Well, I did almost quit after a week or 2. We were having leaks, and I didn't really know what to do about it. Luckily I had read enough about the benefits of CDing and had considered doing it for almost 2 years before I started, so I was dead set of trying to make it work. Luckily I belong to another site that has a ton of CDing moms and they were able to help me work through it. Now my DD just potty trained, and I'm actually sad that I'm not using my diapers anymore.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
widdletigger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got scared out of starting in cloth because of hearing the same things you did, but I was so commited that we started at about 4 months old. WE LOVE IT! I wish we had done it from the beggining, but at the same time I know that with my unexpected c-section and my PPD I may have quit So if you have to use disposables for a week or 2 and then get back to it don't feel bad its A LOT of adjusting even with out trying to get others to learn to use the cloth diapers.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
luminajd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even though I had been researching CD for like 6 nomths before i even got preggo, I also doubted myslef and didnt think I would last long. And the reaction from coworkers was very negative, they all said they would buy me sposies because i wouldnt last a month. I have CD my 8 week old DD since we came home from the hospital and we LOVE it!!! I am not sure why so many people quit, I am sure when we start solids and she starts crawling and walking I will have a whole new batch of issues, but for now it is fantastic!
Jessica
luminajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane
Congratulations! I'm impressed that you're already ready. I think that says a lot.

I didn't cloth diaper our first. I didn't even know that the kind of cloth diapers I'm using existed. I started CD when our son was 10 months old and have never thought of quiting. I did get frustrated for at least 3 weeks around 11 months old because we had lots of issues with leaks. I was so thrilled by then though with the progress I'd seen in his skin and had read too much to put him back in disposables. I do think it takes a commitment, like anything worthwhile. I also think you have to experiment and be willing to give up on a few systems until you find what works. The day we got our first SEZ in the mail I knew I'd found my perfect system. Fit our son like they were made for him. CD has been much easier since then for us.

Good luck with your baby and CD!
Exactly! Except we found our love with Happy Heiny's . . .
Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #17
mamas120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my DH fist told me I'd quit after a month but that didn't happen and he ended up loving my cd'ing.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
Candy
Registered Users
seller

After 16 months of using disposies, I made the switch to cloth and never looked back. Honestly, I find it easy and not time consuming at all. (Unless I'm stuck on DS "shopping around" for more adorable dipes. hehe) It's onlt been about 2 months, but I really enjoy it.

DH was totally against using cloth, but now that we are actually doing it, he's fine.

Don't listen to all of those people. They have no clue what they are talking about!

Good luck with the new baby!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
aliks
Registered Users
seller

I started using cd's in feb. and I can't even imagine putting a sposie on my son . It did take awhile to get into a routine, but my son breaks out within minutes of being in a sposie so I guess I had no choice even if I didn't like them!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
wildintheory
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Reading this thread is so reassuring. I've been building up quite a stash and I'm so excited about it. At the same time though, this is my first and so I have moments of panic that maybe it's going to be too hard with tons of leaks, or that I'll have all the horrible stink issues I've been reading about.

But, last weekend when it was super hot and my cousin's 15 month old was running around in nothing but a sposie, I couldn't get over how horribly plastic it was and how how would look SO much more adorable in a nice fitted with some wool or even a FB. Of course it was sagging and looked heavy/full, so I'm sure that didn't help.

I have a little bit of everything, (mostly fitteds & prefolds), with a varitey of pockets to try so I'm counting on finding a system that works for me and the babe.