Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Never posted before but here goes

I have an almost 8 month old dd who is almost ebf. We dont give her solids cus she gets constipated real easy. Anyways I have a problem. For the past two days she has been fighting her nursings. Today im at my wits end i just gave up and gave her a bottle of formula. She went almost 7 hrs without nursing which isnt normal and is very fussy and every time i tried to nurse her she would scream and wouldnt latch. Please help me!

Advertisement

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Never posted before but here goes

Sounds like a pretty standard nursing strike. Frustrating, I know!

I'd recommend trying to lure her back to the breast in a variety of ways -- some might work, some might not. You might try nursing in the shower, in the bath, in a sling, in the dark while listening to music, while riding an elephant... erm, ok, maybe not the last one. Basically, be inventive and just try to lure her back. It probably won't last much longer!

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Sounds like a pretty standard nursing strike. Frustrating, I know!

I'd recommend trying to lure her back to the breast in a variety of ways -- some might work, some might not. You might try nursing in the shower, in the bath, in a sling, in the dark while listening to music, while riding an elephant... erm, ok, maybe not the last one. Basically, be inventive and just try to lure her back. It probably won't last much longer!
Thanks for the laugh! I really need it right now. I just worry so much about her cus she is tiny as it is and I want this to work out so badly. Im not anti formula but this is my first bf baby and I really wanna make it work out til at least a year.

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advice (haven't been there yet), except the pp advice sounds good. I just wanted to say "hi"...we moved from Westland last yr
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
AndreaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like a nursing strike to me too. I remember my DD doing this I think. If I remember right I think one thing I did was to latch her on when she was really sleepy or falling asleep. Maybe when she is taking a bottle slip the bottle out and your nipple in LOL
Hello to another Michigander too!! Good luck and try not to stress {{{HUGS}}}
Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only advice i have is to not get stressed b/c the baby can sense that which will only make it more difficult. try different positions too. instead of formula why don't you give her a bottle of breast milk. as annoying as nursing strikes are they don't last forever.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

My 7 month old DD is doing something similar. She'll nurse, but only for a few minutes, and she's constantly latching on, then pulling off, over, and over. It's a little annoying, but she must be getting what she needs because she's only eating a small amount of solids once a day. She's also teething (I think one just came through today), so that could have something to do with it. I'd try to just wait it out. I'm sure she'll pick up again soon
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could teething be part of your lo's problem as well? At this age, there are so many culprits when it comes to distractions from nursing....teething, crawling, etc. I've never had one go through a nursing strike, but I've definitely experienced dis-interest in nursing. My ds2 is now almost 8 months as well. We recently were having troubles with feeding and sleeping that turned out to be an ear infection. If things don't improve in a few days, a call to the pedi might be in order...

GL!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Yup, ditto the PP...I was goi gnto say teething. Also, EIs would cause her to stop nursing for me. SOmething about how she would be lying on her ear.

I also ditto the PP that said give EBM instead of formula.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

I third the teething. try rubbing her gums a bit before you try to nurse her.
Just keep offering it. If she is hungry she will nurse.

My oldest never went through this but my youngest already has. She is only three months and she is putting up quite a struggle. I take her in our room and just lay with her and talk to her and eventually she latches on. It might be a little harder with an 8 month old but she will take it eventually.

A bottle might only confuse her further.