Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
briannasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and pregnancy

My husband and I just found out we are pregnant with our second child. It was a bit of a surprise, but we are excited! I called the doctor's office today to schedule my appointment and during the course of the conversation, the nurse told me that I would have to stop breastfeeding my 6 month old. She said that I could continue until my appointment in Jan, but after that, I would have to stop.
Has this happened to anyone? Has anyone continued to breastfeed while pregnant?
I don't want to stop. I want my daughter to ween herself off when she is ready. I am looking for info to arm myself with when I go to the Dr.
Any advice, info, links, etc. will be extremely helpful. (both in favor of stopping and in continuing!!)
TIA!
Angie

Advertisement

loving wife to Nic
CDing, BWing, Co-sleeping, BFeeding Mom to Brianna and Aidan
briannasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and pregnancy

As a mom to 4 boys and expecting #5, I have NEVER weaned just because I was pregnant. All of my boys have self weaned (usually around 20 weeks pregnant).
In fact I have always been pregnant again before they wean.
Right now Connor is 14 months and still nurses quite a bit.
As long as you get enough calories to sustain yourself, the new baby and breastfeeding you will be fine.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
briannasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of the reasons the nurse mentioned was a possible miscarriage because of uternine contractions that are caused by breastfeeding. Does this really happen? That's the part that freaked me out the most and got me thinking...

loving wife to Nic
CDing, BWing, Co-sleeping, BFeeding Mom to Brianna and Aidan
briannasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of LOTS of moms continuing to breastfeed while they are pregnant. I tried, but I was so sick that I couldn't keep up with the calories needed for me, the pregnancy and my dd. She starting losing weight and despite my best efforts we had to give up nursing when she was 9 months old. The baby was fine and I never had any issues relating to the nursing. Check out kellymom.com for some good info on nursing while pregnant.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
weliveintheforest
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about nursing causing contractions and causing miscarriage unless you had other reasons to worry about miscarriage. I nursed through my whole pregnancy (although I had no milk for the second half of it) and so have many of my friends. Maybe if you have a LLL nearby you could talk to a leader and the other women IRL and I bet many of them will have nursed through a pregnancy and can talk to you about it.
weliveintheforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

Sorry this is so long...probably went into too much detail. I would continue to breastfeed and just up your calorie intake so you are getting enough for "you" your body will give what it needs to the baby first then your milk supply then you.

With my last pregnancy my son was 12 months and still breastfeeding when i found out i was pregnant. I planned on bfing him through the pregnancy, after my 7 week 2 day ultrasound where they told me i was only 5week 2 days (not possible) i started to spot a couple times a week. after about a month of that i decided to wean my son thinking that the breastfeeding could be causing problems. I weaned him over night, it hurt me and him both and was the hardest thing i had ever done. I miscarried at 13 weeks so, even after weaning i still lost my pregnancy. I regret weaning and if i could go back i would have continued to bf. I not only lost my breastfeeding relationship with my son against my better judgement but i lost my baby too. I had no history of miscarriage, it was only my second pregnancy and since the baby only measured 5 weeks at 7 weeks i feel that something else was wrong and it had nothing to do with breastfeeding.

Do your research, i don't have any links, i just googled when i was researching and read lots of different stuff and consulted my breastfeeding pear counselor. She told me that unless there was history of miscarriage there was no reason to stop she breastfeed all her girls while pregnant up until 2 weeks before delivering the new baby and they weaned themselves at that point.

Stick with what you feel in your heart, if it's not time to wean then it's not time! I wish you luck.
SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lots of mamas bf while pregnant and tandem nurse. check out kellymom.com and other info on it before going to the doc. I have never heard of bfing leading to a miscarriage
Old 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmom View Post
One of the reasons the nurse mentioned was a possible miscarriage because of uternine contractions that are caused by breastfeeding. Does this really happen? That's the part that freaked me out the most and got me thinking...
I agree with the PP...unless you've got a m/c history or have reason to believe you're at risk, you shouldn't have to wean. I was really nervous about the same thing, having had multiple miscarriages myself before DD. But I asked around and did as much reading as I can find and there's really nothing that points to breastfeeding as being a CAUSE of miscarriage.

That said, DD was 18 months when we found out, so if she weaned I wouldn't feel AS upset about it, but I still would be. At 6 months I most definitely wouldn't wean unless you absolutely have to or find yourself in a higher risk category. Many nurses/docs don't have a clue about BF'ing during pregnancy.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

I think your nurse needs to educate herself. Which is great that you get the honors!! I am 10 months pregnant and DS is 11 months. He is still bfing strong and we will continue to bf until he weans or my milk drys up. My MW is not at all concerned about me bfing. The fun part is when your colostrum comes in and their bm's become soft again. I agree www.kellymom.com is a great place to go for more info and you can print off some of the info too
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

I hate it when I hear of health professionals telling moms to wean. It is not necessary. Unless you have a high risk pregnancy or have had previous miscarriages, there is no need to worry. The contractions that nursing causes are so tiny.

Though since your lo is so young, you might not have enough milk to exclusively breast feed. I know many women that have no problems continuing through out pregnancy. I myself nursed throughout with no issues other than a bit of soreness.