Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
blessedwithprincessntwins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Solutioms to biting while Breastfeeding HELP

I have twin boys who are 6 months old. Theyboth havce the same bottom teeth in (two teeth) They are biting me while breastfeeding. What is the solution? If I don't find one soon might have to give up on BF.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Clairasmama
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Solutioms to biting while Breastfeeding HELP

Don't give up mama!! My dd is 15 months and she has tons of teeth. She bites me and then giggles. I tried everything for awhile, telling her no, she would just giggle and do it more. Or bite harder! I even tried pulling her off and that just made her cry. So now what I do after 8 months of biting, I just ignore it, and I usually get one small nibble and then she stops. Do what you feel comfortable with! That is just my solution though! It works for me, but ..... Good luck mama!!
Clairasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
cakemaven
Registered Users
seller

I pull the baby into the breast and end the feeding for the next 5-10 minutes. For a brief moment, the baby can't breathe through the nose and has to release the breast to take a breath through the mouth. I only had to ever do it twice to put an end to the biting with DS#2. DS#3 isn't old enough to be biting yet.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6 month old too, and he's starting to bite - I think it's partially because he's getting teeth and likes to check them out. Anyway, I've noticed that he only does it when he's finishing up eating - like he's done but just taking the last couple of slurps - or when he's pulled off and then decided to go back for more. I have my pinky ready and when he starts to bite, I stick my finger in there and pull him off. I just have to notice the signs that he's done to avoid his bites!
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

my almost 9 month doesn't have teeth yet, but she sure knows how to bite. I am going to try a couple suggestions listed here, since my method seems to be hilarious i do notice if people are walking by her head (ie her brother is making noise) then she bites and then looks around, like she doesn't want to lose her "place". so going someplace boring or quiet is helpful, sometimes.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
MelissaNCgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's awful isn't it? I was just coming here to post this exact question. I wish I had a solution for you, but obviously I'm struggling with the same thing. My DS is 7-1/2 months old and has his 2 uppers and 2 lower teeth. Talk about OUCH!!! He has just started the biting, but he seems pretty persistent with it. So much so, that last night I got fed up and pumped and then gave him a bottle. I've tried the whole smooshing his face in, telling him "no," then setting him down, but honestly he thinks it's the funniest thing. He bites, then laughs. I do my best not to have any reaction, but it's really hard because it hurts. I'm at my wits end. Hoping he will just stop on his own soon. He doesn't do it when he's really, really hungry... that is when he gets down to business. But when he's just sort of "snacking" is when it happens here. Or when he gets temporarily distracted by something. I've been tempted to hold off on nursing til he gets really hungry, but somehow that doesn't seem right..... ????????????????
Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Quiteria
Registered Users

our solution was to watch the jaw...they have to move their tongue to bite, so you can see the jaw shift slightly just before it happens. No more nursing myself to sleep until he got past that habit; very close attention to that little jaw. As soon as he stopped nursing seriously and paused/shifted to bite, I would break the latch by inserting fingertip. And yes, that meant waiting for him to get hungrier if he wasn't serious enough to nurse without biting. I always let him try...I didn't go by the clock or anything, no refusal to get started...but if he bit, I would unlatch and try to distract him until we could nurse somewhere quiet with his full attention and hunger. Usually he didn't bite until the end of a feeding when he was full and getting bored. Though low milk supply can case biting, too, if yours seem hungry all the time.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is what worked for me...If you can try not to react to strongly, pull the baby in towards you, like the pp said...so they have to let go to breath. It's also more comforting for the baby to be pulled in towards you than yanked away, IYKWIM. Then put the baby down, on the floor or beside you, for a minute or two. If the baby cries, pick the baby back up and let the baby continue nursing, and if if bites again, put him right back down, he'll get the picture. If the baby doesn't cry then he's probably done eating. If you consistently put the baby down when he bites, he learn not to bite if he's hungry. It has worked for both of my babies. They each have only bit me once...maybe twice (unless it was accidental while trying to latch on) and my DD#1 will be 3 in February and is still nursing.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 12-19-2007 at 03:02 AM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

Emma is only 3 months old, no teeth, but she still chomps down. I've been ignoring it, hoping she'd stop, but yesterday she did it really hard and it startled me. I yelped and looked at her and firmly said "no". Yeah, she laughed her little butt off! I guess I'm going to have to try something else and hopefully stop this habit before she gets teeth.
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my babies did that to me, I would firmly say "no biting" and if it was done a second time, I would take the baby off the breast for 1-2 minutes.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote