Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need an opinon! FB's on sale! Should I buy?

Chelci, I agree with your mom about it being too much to spend at the outset when you're not sure. It sure is hard when it's your first to have self-control!

You might want to do a cost analysis on diaperpin.com to see how much it will cost you per diaper. With my first child, it was actually MORE costly to use CD's than it was sposies. We were newly married and didn't have much money so I jumped off the boat and just did sposies. I was really glad I had only spent about $70 on PFs and proraps! It seemed like a lot then, but now in hindsight, it wasn't so bad.

This time, we have a little bit more money so I am going to give it a shot. Since I already have the PF's, I am going to do those, a few covers and a couple of pockets. I am watching FSOT for super good prices (I have until February so there is no rush!) and I am making sure I am not paying more than what I could re-sell them for without losing more than a $1 on each.

I hope that nothing that I have said discourages you from wanting to CD or from wanting to invest in your little one. Every child is a blessing and it is natural to want to give them the best you can. Because you're so ahead of the game, you have time to have fun haunting FSOT for the best deals and going with them!

Advertisement

togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just check the feedback of the person who is selling the diapers and confirm the condition. There are a lot of really nice diapers for sale, but also sadly a few trying to take advantage of new buyers.

Does anyone know if there are any seconds left in the outlet? Maybe you could buy a 3 or 6 pack each month until the baby. They might be .50- $1 more each but you could spread it out.

Is your mom going to be helping with child care? She will have to be very supportive and pro- CD to help you out at the beginning and not critize all the time, or you will want to quit when they don't seem as "easy" as disposables.

Make sure you have nice inserts so you don't have to deal with leaks. Also sometimes with FuzziBunz, used ones may be more prone to leaks and stink problems because you don't know how they were treated by the other owner, I guess I would say buy new, sometimes the used ones are only 2-3 dollars less each, which doesnt save too much in the end.

Good luck!

Ask a lot of questions here when you need help!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your advice ladies. I have found 4 people here on DS that I would like to buy from and I am going to buy from each of them maybe once a week until I get what I want. I'm going to take it slow.

As for daycare, I will be finished with school in December which is also when I am due so I will be home with my son everyday and I won't need daycare.

Chelci
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are due only 3 days apart!! I can't wait!

What inserts are you going to use?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

I was going to use Microterry cloth inserts or make my own maybe out of prefolds. What is best?

Chelci
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent tried using prefolds, but I used the microfiber towels from walmart. They are cheap, but I got sick of trifolding them, and I had to use 2 each time. Sometimes they leaked. Now I use Wonderfuls micro inserts (with large pockets for toddler) and I don't think they have leaked!! They are more money though and you could onl yuse one part of it in a small pocket. I use Joey Bunz hemp at night and naptimes.

Ask around to see how the cheap micro towels work for small pockets and newborns.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
jkelstaten
Registered Users

a great place for cheap dipes is Liamsbunz.com. She makes dipes out of t-shirt material for $5 or less per dipe. On the cheap we paired them with super cheap Dappi covers. They're not pockets, but I have half of my stash made out of them and the other half out of AI2s and pockets.
Another place you could check out is LittleRainDancers.com. I make no promises, but when she heard that I wanted to start using cloth and didn't have much money she sold them to me for a reduced price. It can't hurt to ask.

Just think that with disposables it will cost almost $20 a week to start with if not more. I wish we had know about cloth earlier so we could have saved all that money!
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Is your mom buying these for you, or are you buying them? If you're buying them and you have the cash, it's not too much. Fuzzi Bunz have a great resale value.
But there are so many options out there to try, so you might not want to invest so much into one brand. Good for you, though, cding as a teen mom! Pm me if you need anyone to talk to, I used to be a teen mom myself.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #19
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the links ladies! I am buying these myself. The only money she has spent is paying for insurance.

Chelci
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey! im 19, i was 17 when i got preg and should have had him, and 18 when he came out, so i started cding at 18

im glad you want to cd, what got you into it to begin with? thats really cool
anyway, do you want to try to get all fb or are you goig for tryig different things? can you or anyone you know sew?

the micro towels are good for little babies as long as you dont have a heavy duty wetter, they work great. the bigger blue ones work better, imo, but thats just that, my opinion, lol. they also come bigger though, theyre 16x16 i thinmk, so youd have to cut, or get someone to cut or serge them for you for the beginning though, oh and if you do decide to cut, do it somewhere that clean ups not an issue, you get little micro fuzz everywhere. ugh!! or better yet, get your bf to do it for you!!
lmk if you have any more questions, maybe i can help??

congrats to you and your bf for your little one
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote