Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
When is it official?

When you're potty-training/learning...

I'm following ds' lead so I don't want to call it potty-training, because he's doing everything and it was his choice/decision...but when would you call it official? He's in 'big boy' underwear all of the time...and doesn't have any accidents during the day *knock on wood* and wakes up dry about 75% of the time after night time sleeping and 100% of the time *knock on wood again* for naps. Dh isn't convinced? We've been at it for about a week...dh is expecting him to regress.

He was kind of daytrained before but it was me pushing him...this was completely his decision and he's doing awesome.

So, when you're potty-training/learning...when do you consider them trained or done learning? I guess I'm also wondering...if they do regress, how long until I can maybe expect that he will not regress? if that makes any sense....

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When is it official?

Not sure I can help on this one as one day my ds#1 just decided to go to the potty all the time and that was that. We still gave him a diaper at night for a while than just decided to try it without (he knew if he had a diaper on he could just go in it) and bingo he woke up dry. He never regressed and only had a couple of accidents at the start. I think if he's done it himself he's probably done with diapers!
Ericka
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine is the same way - he knows a diaper and that it's ok to go in it...so he's in big boy underwear all the time. He always wakes up dry from his naps, but I guess maybe wakes up 75% of the time dry (from overnight). Looking to get some trainers that look like underwear, but absorb more so he doesn't have to lay in wet sheets - but also isn't wearing something that's obviously a diaper (with snaps or velcro). I found some that sound like exactly what I need, just need the funds

Anyway, thanks for the reply! That's a lot like my ds, in just deciding to go one day.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I'd say after a week I too would fear regression, after 2 weeks I'd feel more relaxed and after 3 I'd call him potty learned!!

My dd literally potty trained overnight so while she potty learned right away I was not confident with it until about a month later. The overnight thing never really counted in my book. If they are dry during the day and at naps that is potty learned in my book.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like a good timeline. See it started last week and he told me he wanted to wear big boy underwear...but I was still having to remind him/take him to go potty. He was staying dry mostly, but still pooping in his underwear. Then all of the sudden one evening while we were fixing dinner, he came up to me and said he needed to go potty...so we went and he poo'd in the potty. I made a real big deal over it and called my mom and my grandma to brag And ever since then...he's letting me know when he needs to go or goes by himself..and not having any accidents...I've not put him in a diaper for anything (trip to the mall, walmart, grocery store, whatever) and he's staying dry & communicating with me. Now he's got diarrhea (virus, UGH!) and he told me once that he wanted to wear a diaper...but I told him no and that was the end of it...he's been back to the potty several times and hasnt mentioned a diaper again.

I think he mentioned the diapers because I was keeping them on the lower shelf of our coffee table and they were kind of out of sight...but I was cleaning today and put them on top of the coffee table, so he saw them...

Anyway, thanks for the responses
Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I say, about 1 week of staying dry during the day.

If you were to say they arent PT until they are dry all the time, for instance, then that would mean my 5 1/2 yr old isnt trained (he wets the bed if forgets to go b/f bedtime, etc)....

All children will have accidents from time to time, usually the only time they would "regress" would be during a stressful time like moving, a new sib, or illness- for instance, I wouldnt expect him to make it to the potty if he has diarrea yet, you know, but but usually it.

Our now 5yr old decided on his own to PT and he was 2 1/2yrs old, it wasz on Halloween, he just started and kept going. Our now 2yr old is starting to hide during BMs and wants to sit on his potty when I go, and informed me tonight at bedtime that he wants to start using the potty now, so we will see...

but anyway, I would say yours sounds PT to me....I just wouldnt take any really long car rides yet .
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I say when you are confident that you can go out say to the grocery store or where ever and keep them in reg underwear. When I knew I didn't need the pull-up anymore I considered DD potty trained/learned. Sounds like he is doing an amazing job. My Dd had a couple of relapses after she was potty trained, but she stayed at grandma's while we went on vacation and we had a couple other issues going on at the time that I think caused the setbacks. Very minor and we did a sticker reward system to get her back on track. We still had an occasional accident if she got too busy playing especially somewhere besides home and even now (4-1/2 yo) she rarely wets the bed, I mean like 1 every 3 mo, usually if she had a lot to drink that night or if she didn't go before she feel asleep.

I think they do much better when they do it on their own, like yours is. Being pushed I think sets them up for more failures. IMO
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are almost exactly the same place you are, and I count DD as trained. She's been in panties for 10 days, and its been a few days since we've had an accident. She hasn't had a single accident during naps and only woken up wet once out of 5 days. Again, I count her as trained.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great job to your daughter! I make a big deal out of it every time I talk to someone on the phone and I think Kain loves it