Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Happiness is...

...burping your newborn!

So how do you do it? What are the most effective ways you've found? Each child has been different. I can't stand it when he spits up my breastmilk! But he isn't always burping...So what has worked best for you?

Advertisement

Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Happiness is...

All three of mine have been different.. my last baby hardly ever spit up or burped.. the other two were a whole different story.
I just wanted to say that your thread totally just made me want another newborn! (don't tell my dh I said that )
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine didn't always need to burp. However, I read a trick in some magazine at the OB office....it had pictures to illustrate, but I'll explain the best I can...

After feeding, lay your baby on his back on your lap (or bed, whatever) for 20 seconds or so, then lift him up to your shoulder (like with your hands under his armpits, lifting him high enough so that his tummy has a little bit of pressure...you don't want him too low) and he should just burp without any back-patting. I thought it sounded kooky but it worked about 75% of the time.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually, Keira likes to be held up to my shoulder to burp. I've tried sitting her on my lap with my hand supporting her chin. But with her reflux, she just ends up arching her back, which isn't productive.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

I almost never burp her. Every once in a while one comes out on its own
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ALWAYS burped mine. And I always put them on my shoulder, DS spit up all the time (thank gosh it was BM) DD spit up a total of 3 times.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

My child doesn't spit up, she throws up!! I do try to burp her, usually on my shoulder, but it doesn't always help. Most of the time she's fine, but if not, she throws up everything in her belly.
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS doesn't always burp, but usually if he seems like he needs to (he has these little faces he makes lol) I sit him up and he does it. Easy as pie, thankfully!
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va703 View Post
After feeding, lay your baby on his back on your lap (or bed, whatever) for 20 seconds or so, then lift him up to your shoulder (like with your hands under his armpits, lifting him high enough so that his tummy has a little bit of pressure...you don't want him too low) and he should just burp without any back-patting. I thought it sounded kooky but it worked about 75% of the time.

That is something I have never heard. And I've heard tons! I am excited to try it!
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va703 View Post
Mine didn't always need to burp. However, I read a trick in some magazine at the OB office....it had pictures to illustrate, but I'll explain the best I can...

My mom showed me something almost like this that her doc showed her back in the day... we didn't use it all the time, just for those times when baby is uncomfortable and you know there's a bubble that wants out. Instead of laying the baby on a bed, she held her (one hand under back/neck, one hand on front) a little bit upside-down, like 45* down from horiz. then she did this big swoop up onto her shoulder. *burp*

As far as burping all the time, it really depends on the kid. Some always burp, some don't, all do sometimes. Once in a while you get a huge spitter... You try it all and learn what works for each kid. And if you try, and nothing comes out, you can give it a couple minutes and try again (but it's OK to stop). Often they'll burp on their own... and if they're really uncomfortable they'll lt you know! I knew a mom who would pat pat pat for 20 minutes looking for a burp...

And for the really little ones, I like burping them sitting on my lap sideways, bending forward, just because they're so cute all scrunched up like that

jabba is offline   Reply With Quote