Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
I had a big allergic reaction, covered in hives. Advice please! (long)

Last night I started to break out in a few hives. A few on my arms, and my belly. This NEVER happens to me. Only other time was my last month of pregnancy with the twins, when I had PUPPP. I haven't eaten anything different, changed laundry detergents, any toiletry items, etc. All of that has stayed the same.

Anyhow, I took some benadryl and went to bed. Woke up at 3am throwing up (never happens, unless I'm pregnant, which I am NOT). Back to bed. Woke this morning covered with hives, from my knees to above my jaw line, and my throat felt swollen. Not sore, just swollen inside. I went to the dr (at an urgent care clinic), who said I'd probably developed an allergy to penicillin (I've been on antibiotics for a week and a half for sinus infection).

They wanted to give me a steroid shot, and told me I'd have to stop breastfeeding for a few days. Um, no. Asher has been nursing for 11 months, has taken exactly one bottle of expressed bm when he was a month old, and would have nothing to do with bottles after that. He still eats very little solids; I'm his primary food source. Stopping nursing is not an option. They couldn't believe it, kept saying, "But you are having a SEVERE allergic reaction, you really need this shot." I'm not in the hospital in anaphylactic shock; I don't see how it can be THAT severe. Overreacting much, ya think?

So they wrote me a prescription for a Medrol dose pack, but said I should get a second opinion because they weren't comfortable with me taking it while breastfeeding.

I went to the pharmacy and talked to them, and they said no, I shouldn't take it while breastfeeding. Just Benadryl. So I came home and looked Medrol up on kellymom. They say it's approved and listed as L2:
Drug which has been studied in a limited number of breastfeeding women without an increase in adverse effects in the infant; And/or, the evidence of a demonstrated risk which is likely to follow use of this medication in a breastfeeding woman is remote."
So now what? According to kellymom Medrol is pretty safe. I'd like to tough it out, but I'm covered in hives. Covered. My throat still feels half-closed. I'm miserable.

Should I just suck it up and keep on with the Benadryl? Or go and get this prescription filled? I think I already know the answer as I type this. I need to tough it out, don't I? This sucks, but Ash is more important. *sigh* Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I'm feeling very sorry for myself right now.

Proud mama to 3 growing boys
Former cd'ing, bf'ing, bw'ing, cs'ing mama

bethiecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I had a big allergic reaction, covered in hives. Advice please! (long)

After I went into Anaphylaxis with my allergy shots (I am THAT allergic), the doc gave me 4 meds: Benadryl, Prednisone, Zantac, Epi-pens.

Benadryl for the itching. Prednisone for the swelling (steroid), Zantac is ALSO an antihistamine, Epi-pens in case I had another one. Once you had a reaction, anything you had a slight reaction to, could cause another Anaphylaxis; you are now hyper-sensitive.

Also this happened when DD was 4 months old. I took ALL of these meds while nursing.
ME: Dagny 34. Married 7/16/04 to: DH: 36. US Navy Corpsman. DS: Quinn 15. Future Mad Scientist DD: Kayla 8. Future Pink Mermaid Ballerina Princess
DS2: Colin 14 monhs. Walking toddler!
Feed your children human milk as long as possible, it might save their life. It did my son's.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Users

I'd take it! L2 is pretty darn safe. I'd feel comfortable with that -- sounds like you're pretty bad off.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

did you look it up on Dr Hale's site?

i've taken all kinds of things that Drs tell me not to take while BF...honestly, they're just covering their own *sses...Dr Hale actually studies and documents all this stuff! I hope you feel better soon!
Sarah -- knitting and sewing SAHM, Army wife to Derek, Mom to Elissa-17, Dylan-12, Devin-5, Jenavive 2
SarahLiz is offline   Reply With Quote