Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
mamarae
Registered Users
Formerly: rgrindle

My Mood:
Questions about Gentian Violet

Just got some today (since the GSE, vinegar rinses, probiotics, garlic, and diet change didn't do enough) but I don't know how to use it. I've got it in my ducts, he is symptom-free, if that makes a difference.

Do I paint my nips or his mouth or both? Do I paint me before/after he nurses? Do I paint him before/after he nurses?

I read someone say they painted themselves and let the child get the meds through nursing. Is there a time limit to this (like, within 30 minutes of painting yourself?) or do I paint my nips after a feeding and he gets the meds at the next feeding?

It stains, so people say from mom and baby to be bare from waist up. How long? Is it less likely to "bleed" after it dries? After an hour? Do I have to worry 24/7?

Do I do it once or twice a day?

How many days? (I've read both 4 and 7 days.)

Can/should I back off on the GSE (at least for DS) since we are doing the GV? I don't mind using it on me, but it's such a PAIN to paint his mouth with anything since he's teething and just bites the Q-tip!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions about Gentian Violet

Paint your nipple with the gv and let your ds suck on the end of a dipped qtip. Then immediately feed him. Just look in the mouth and make sure the entire mouth is purple. Once dry, you don't have to worry about staining-like 10mins or so after your done with the feeding session. And, it actually does come out of your clothes in the wash anyway. I did find that the purple did rub off DS's mouth onto anything that he might have been chewing. But those things cleaned up nicely in the wash or just with a bit of time.

As for duration, you can stop after 4 days IF you no longer feel any pain. If the pain is better, but not gone yet, then go for 3 more days to make it 7 total. Do it once a day.

Continue taking the GSE orally and painting the solution on your nipples after every feed (except the gv feed) for the week.

There is info on this at www.drjacknewman.com
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote