Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NEED OPINIONS!....If you had to leave work what would you pick your hours to be??

Ok, I am just curious as to what everyone thinks is the best hours to work when you have children. I just got a part time job (don't start until the end of august) and i can pick my own hours, but i'm just wondering what would be the best for my girls!! I have one that just started kindergarten yesterday, so she will be there until 3:00 each day, and then i have a one year old and three year old. I was thinking to work no more than 4 days a week.....so i could do 4 days, 8:30-2:30 or maybe 3 days, 8:30-4:30/5 or so....which do you all think would effect the girls less, leaving them more days less time, or more time less days??? KWIM If it makes any difference, my mom will be watching them and I can send my 3 year old to preschool a couple days (she wants to, but then she wants to go to my moms to)

I'm really just trying to figure out what is best for my children because that is all i want. Give me suggestions, comments, anything to help me STOP stressing over what i should do and what is BEST!!!

Thank you gals so much!!!

Advertisement

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)

Last edited by keeperof3angels; 08-08-2006 at 12:41 PM.
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Re: NEED OPINIONS!....If you had to leave work what would you pick your hours to be??

When it was just me & DS I bartended and loved those hours. I worked from 7pm to 2 am. I would take DS to the babysitter at 6:30 and pick him up at 2:30 and got home around 3. I would crawl into bed and sleep until he woke up (around 8 or 9). Then we would play for the rest of the morning, have lunch then a 2 hour nap and play for the rest of the afternoon and have dinner before leaving for the sitters. It was nice, I was able to pay all the bills and spend his waking hours with my son. Of course, with 2 I couldn't continue because bills went up and the money was no longer enough, so now I work a daytime job and I HATE IT! I am gone all day and spend sleeping time and weekend with my kids.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: NEED OPINIONS!....If you had to leave work what would you pick your hours to be??

I would say work the schedule so that you are off before DD gets out of school that way you can either pick her up or get her off the bus and spend the rest of the day w/ them. So I say more days shorter hours. You will still have 2 days at home to do around the house and one day just to spend w/ the younger ones.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I think it totally depends on your childcare situation. Its cheaper to do longer days (and fewer of them) than doing 5 short days - also costs less in gas and having to dress up etc. but if you have family or dh to watch them in their 'off' hrs, then you can just work around that. kwim?
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I also work part time and I have a 1 yr old. I chose to work every day from 8-12. That way I am there with him all afternoon and I can still nurse him. I think it works out pretty well for us. GL with your decision! Whatever you pick will work out fine!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
rliszkowski
Registered Users
seller

I am also going back to work part-time at the end of the month. It was a tough decision, but finally I chose an all day, every other day schedule. When I added up the hours away from home, fewer longer days were better for me. Some weeks I will work 3 days and the next week I will work 2 days.

My baby is also one, so he is no longer nursing all day. My mom is watching him during the day. I will be away from home 7-3:15. My older two are in school all day, so I will be home when they get off the bus. My dh will put them on the bus in the morning.
rliszkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input mama's I appreciate it Well i'm hoping that i can work just tues., wed., and thur. from 8:30-4:30 or so that way I have two full days at home with them and will be able to get my oldest at the bus stop those two days. It will just be hard during t-ball and swim seasons, and on wed. church night when I have to take them to all of it at 6, but i'm hoping it will work out...if not then i think i'll add Friday and work Tuesday-Friday from 8:30-2:30, so we'll see But i guess it I have the benefit of having my mom and dad (retired) watching them on the days that i will work, so i'm trying to convince myself that it's grandparent time, like a playdate with them, and not really leaving them per say, KWIM If i didn't have them i probably wouldn't be taking the job. I'm hoping eventually the job will let me work from home (they said it was possible, so i'm crossing my fingers).

Anyway....thanks gals

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote