Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
Candy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Worst Diaper Rash Ever. Please HELP! :(

thank you mama's! I'll update after I see the ped. tomorrow.

masonite it's so nice to have a face with a name. Great pic. Today was the first day Maya was in pain. My poor baby! While changing her dipe, she just started screaming. It broke my heart.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've been having this problem as well accept it didn't start until dh left him in a fitted overnight when I worked one evening. I left a double stuffed FB for him to put on and I guess he forgot or Jacob fell asleep in his high chair... whatever, it started then. Since then we've been having them on and off and I've stripped my dipes twice, even used a tiny bit of bleach. They smell better for awhile but the rash is still there. I've been using a combo rash cream my friend suggested and it helps but keeps coming back. We just went camping and used sposies and the rash is gone. He's in cloth today and he's already getting rashy! I used plain cornstarch tonight just to dry it up but he also has eczema... I dunno. I'm just not sure what to do and did a search for rash.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I just have this problem too and am gonna be watching this!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Candy
Registered Users
seller

No hijack. Please, I hope we can help each other out.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor girl! It really does sound like yeast. I think I have a problem with yeast living in my diapers and I just can't get it rid of it. YDD wears prefolds/fitteds and rarely has a rash but last night she wore one of older dd's pockets (FB) for about 1.5 hours and immediately her bum was a little red and had a yeast-y odor. It's driving me nuts and I don't know what to do! I've tried a bit of TTO in the wash, didn't help much. I've bleached my MF inserts but not the PUL pockets. I need to nag DH to hang up a clothesline for me so I can sun them. I'm waiting on some GSE from the co-op and hope that does the trick! I can put older DD in a sposie with some Lotrimin cream and she's clear in hours. Makes me sad. I love her fluffy dipes, I don't want to ditch them for Pampers!
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
anna.worley
Banned

Just a suggestion. Take a closer look at your routine. Does it involve any EO's? My youngest is extremely sensitive to EO's even in way diluted concentrations. When I change a poopy I can only use plain H2O. I found putting EO's in the wipes solution, the wash routine, or even some of the 'natural' salves/ointments will set off a nasty rash for my boy. The main culprits are usually TTO and Lavender. Northern Essence has a salve w/out these I think. I hope you find your answer soon.
anna.worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, I think TTO and lavendar oil are the only things I HAVEN'T changed in the wash routine! I changed detergents, got GSE, got EOs, got Dawn... So now I guess I'll start with that tomorrow! How many washes to get the EOs completely out?? I've also been using a TTO skin ointment on his rash.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
bectoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my dd gets bad rashes, it's typically from wearing a dipe with a fleece or suedecloth inner and PUL outer when it's really hot and humid out. It just doesn't breathe enough. Add a poopy dipe at any point while her bum is red, and it just gets AWFUL!!

Here's what I do:
DD gets a soak in the tub after EVERY poopy dipe - no exceptions. If we're out when the poopy dipe happens, she goes into the tub right when we get home. You want to keep the bum really really CLEAN.

I only use breathable dipes during rashes - fitteds or prefolds coverless when we're home or with wool while we're out. I do NOT use Peewells during rashes - they are too bulky and don't breathe enough, IMO. The thinner the dipe, the better. And no fleece or suedecloth inners - they can make things sweaty in there and make the problem worse.

I SMEAR dd's bum with Aquaphor after each bath and after every dipe change (I only use water on my wipes). Use flannel or cheap cotton liners - not fleece - to protect the dipes.

This typically clears things up within a few days. The last rash she had was BAD - it was actually from sitting in a poopy dipe all night long. She never woke us up to let us know that we needed to change her, and, well, she can't sit in a poopy dipe for 10 minutes, let alone HOURS without getting a rash. The last rash took a good week of diligent work to beat.
bectoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #18
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for sharing!! I told dh that I wanted to get some PFs just to see if that helps! I think that the FBs might be too hot for him. It was awfully hot here for awhile and he wore FBs all the time, it makes sense with the time too. Hmmm... I think I'll try this!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #19
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It will stain, but gentian violet works well for rashes. It will stain everything, blue, does not come out. Just a warning.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #20
Candy
Registered Users
seller

Hey mama's. So it's not a yeast infection. Just a horrible rash that was starting to get a bit infected.

After 1 application of Triple Paste, I already started to see an improvement. This AM it was even better than last night.

I saw a different ped than normal & LOVED him. He was extremely CD friendly. Not that my other ped. isn't, I just don't know since I was still using disposies last time I saw him.
Anyway, he wants me to continue doing what I'm doing which is naked while home, using Triple Paste and he gave me a script for Bactroban.

We almost always use PUL pockets. I recently bought some fitteds and wool soakers, so when she can't be naked i Plan on using those. I haven't used CPF's yet, but I just got a few Snappi's. I want ot try that our when she wakes up from her nap.

Thank you ALL for your help & advise.

anna.worley I've never used EO's.

TwinKristi I'm so glad you were able to get some help as well.

With the advice of others, after stripping my dipes since I was uisng All Free before this rash, I am now using Sun. Should I be using something else? Allens? Ugh, I don't know. Please feel free to add any other info.

Thanks so much!

Candy