Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Potty issues

He doesn't have an accident at preschool... does so well! Comes home, pees on the floor, his pants, anywhere but the toilet. Never tells me he has to go... I can take him to the potty to try & he might but not always go... but 5 mins later I can find him peeing in the kitchen! Driving me mad b/c I don't understand it. He's even (gross gross gross) pooped in the living room when I guess I wasn't looking, then "covered" it up by piling all our DVDs on top of it.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty issues

I am so sorry, no advice though
LuAnn
Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
StripedDipes
Registered Users

Ewwwwee! That is so weird that he's good when he's out and about, but has lots of accidents at home.
No advise, except to get him some training pants until you figure out his issue.
StripedDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard from a friend that this is pretty common. Her ds wet his pants at home regularly until recently, and I think he is five now. Also no problems at school. My older ds wet his pants at least once a day for 6 months after he was in underwear and dry at school. He also had 2 one month long periods where he pooped in his pants daily. His teacher had no idea there was a problem at home.

My younger ds has been doing this for two years! Generally he was okay at school, though they did have to threaten that he would leave twice-- once a few months after he started, and once this past spring. He was wetting at home up to 5 or 6 times a day. Sometimes he would even ask to use the potty when we were out, but his underwear would still be wet. He has a few weeks here and there where he doesn't have accidents, and has been fine for the past week or two. But right before that he pooped all over the living room carpet, dripping down an air vent. And then the next poop he decided to decorate himself with, and then hid behind the couch so I wouldn't know. I have found that for him the wetting goes along with the pooping. And when he is doing better during the day, he is also more likely to be dry at night. After the incident a few weeks ago, I brought him to the pediatrician as he also has constipation problems. The ped said that its a discipline issue. I couldn't really go along with his recommendations as they were pretty harsh, but we used some rewards (sometimes they work for ds, and sometimes he doesn't care) and things have improved dramatically recently, and we haven't had any problems in about a week. For ds, when he is pooping on the potty and we reward it, he also seems to stop wetting, so we don't work on wetting separately. However, for about 3 months in the spring he didn't poop on the potty at all, even though we have a fairly big prize for him if he would just poop once.

Sorry I don't have a simple solution.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
jkelstaten
Registered Users

what I have found with our DD (she has just learned to use the potty in the last few month) is that when she has an accident during the day it's one of two reasons
1) wants attention
2) very absorbed in her playtime

What we do is just ignore it. I don't mean don't clean up the mess, but we tell her to put dirty panties in the laundry and get clean ones and put them on herself.
Also we had been having problems with her wetting the bed (aparently she dreams about water...she talks in her sleep) We treated it the same way, sent her to change her clothes and cleaned the bed and she went right back to sleep.
When she realized that she wasn't going to get the reaction she wanted she stopped.

Good luck!!
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Who cleans it up? My DD potty learned VERY quickly, but we did go through this stage for about 2 days. I made her clean it up every time. Also I noticed that she did it when she wasn't getting any attention, or if she was mad at me, so I would give her a rag to wipe it up, then send her to play in her room while I disinfected. Then when I was done I went and played with her. That way she not only learned that cleaning it up was not fun, but she didn't get any attention for it either, she had to entertain herself until I was done.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carleyc
Who cleans it up? My DD potty learned VERY quickly, but we did go through this stage for about 2 days. I made her clean it up every time. Also I noticed that she did it when she wasn't getting any attention, or if she was mad at me, so I would give her a rag to wipe it up, then send her to play in her room while I disinfected. Then when I was done I went and played with her. That way she not only learned that cleaning it up was not fun, but she didn't get any attention for it either, she had to entertain herself until I was done.

Good luck!
He cleans it up & has always done so.