Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Mama needs to gain weight...ideas?

I am having a hard time consuming enough (healthy) calories. My pants are too loose. I need help and encouragment please.
I am nursing my 7 month old almost exclusivly. He has had a little banana a few times, but that is it. He still nurses several times at night. He has also become very high needs which is making it hard to get anything done.
I am hungry all the time, which is normal for me. But I'm having a hard time stopping and making something healthy and sitting down to eat it. How do you guys do it? This is my third dc, so I'm pretty frazzled with all my responsibilities. I feel like I am always hurrying and trying to get a million things done (even my computer time).

What can I do to MAKE myself stop and eat? What are the best foods for gaining healthy weight? How many calories should I be eating to nurse and gain weight? I need to gain, like, 10 pounds (max).

Okay, this was probably more of a vent. Too bad I can't hire a personal chef or mother's helper.

Advertisement

You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mama needs to gain weight...ideas?

Well, I suppose I could be considered an expert in the gaining weight department but not in the healthy way.

Do you like nuts? You could keep a dish out and pop a handful here and there. How about boiled eggs? You could boil several one morning and leave them in the fridge to snack on later.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ooooh, eggs! We love eggs around here. Especially Egg Salad sandwiches with lots of fattening mayo! lol

I like peanuts pretty well and can make myself eat almonds and other nuts sometimes. Good idea.

I like avacado, too. Those are just harder to keep around.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

oatmeal is also a great way to gain weight
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Oh another YUMMY thing is a banana milkshake, break a banana apart and toss into the blender, add soem milk, just enough to cover the banana and add some cinnemon and blend, it is really good but oh so fatty..LOL
btw dont drink this if you need to go out because it WILL make you gassy
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm dealing with the same thing, and I only have 1 child! I can't imagine how it will be with more....

I've started keeping dry fruit from Just Tomatoes (there's a co-op going right now!), sunflower seeds, those yogurt smoothie things, and bagels in the house at all times. Also, when I get a chance to cook, I cook a large amount and freeze or refrigerate it, leftovers are a huge help. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. I'm still losing weight, and it's frustrating. Nuts, eggs and fruit smoothies sound like good ideas too.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I need to have a cooking/bake-a-thon. I'm cooking brown rice right now and will see what else I can make. Maybe some nut bread.

I can officially pull my jeans off without unbuttoning them!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i like string cheese. or other cheese and crackers. it's semi healthy, full of calories and easy to grab. i also like trail mixes with nuts in them. trader joes has the best ones if you have those stores around. what about veggies in dip? the calories from the dip wouldn't be healthy but maybe the veggies would help counteract the bad stuff in the dip? i find that if i cut veggies up and put them in baggies in the fridge they'll store for several days and they are super easy to just grab a few when i'm hungry. yum, i think i need a snack.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm usually trying to get a little more weight on dd, so I have to balance me wanting to eat healthy & lose weight with feeding her healthy food & trying to fatten her up. One of the big helps with dd is whole milk yogurt. It has a LOT more calories & fat than reduced fat & fat free yogurt. I have a container or The greek gods traditional greek yogurt w/honey in front of me, and it tastes like ice cream!! For 4 oz it has 160 calories and 10g of fat. For me, I mix it with 1/2 of the plain fat free greek yogurt so it's not so calorie dense, but that might help you. Also try some cheese & crackers & maybe check out some of the nutrition bars like pria or some of the natural granola bars. They taste good (most of them, at least) and should have quite a bit of calories. Good luck!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Protein is always good, like cheese, chicken, yogurt, milk, etc. If you're having a hard time finding the time to eat, get some munchies like granola bars to snack on while you're in the car (if you still can drive safely while you're eating) or even nursing your LO.