Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:
Cystic Fibrosis Test done, results *Update in Original Post*

UPDATE 1/4/08
Midwife called DH yesterday, He is NEGATIVE So thanks for all the info about Cystic Fibrosis ladies.. I am relieved we dont have to worry about LO having this disease... I had my feelings that DH was ok, since DS #1 is peferectly fine.. Thought I know it can skip kids... But I just knew we were ok...

SO my first Midwife appt, they did the Cystic Fibrosis blood draw to see if I am a carrier, found out that I am a carrier.. Now DH has to go in and have his blood tested to see if he is a carrier..

When did all these tests come about, cause I know in 2006 when I PG with DS I never had this done, or at least I was not told that I had it done, and they never did anything to DH??? What changed???

So now I need to research up on it so I can learn more about it.. I only know 1 person with it and he is always sick and coughing. I pray that this baby does not have anything like it.

What have you guys experienced with this. Its really rare.. She said that if DH does test positive that it is a 1/4 chance of the baby getting it.

I honestly thought this pregnancy would be a breeze cause DS was soo easy... Now this.. Plus she wants to test Gestational Diabetes also on next appt cause with DS I failed 1 test border line.. I think they said I could score a 140 and I scored a 142.. So now I have to be tested early... I changed from a OB/MD to a Midwife for the sake of not being poked and prodded, and look what happened!!!! UGH!!

Advertisement

Last edited by TNEarthMama; 01-04-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Update
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cystic Fibrosis Test done, results

I don't know the answers to your questions but just want to give you
Old 12-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolly View Post
I don't know the answers to your questions but just want to give you
Thanks mama... I am trying to not be fearful of this pregnancy.. Cause DS was soo easy, and nothing was wrong with him.. I just wonder why I never got tested for this before with his pregnancy???? It must be new, or my old practice did not do it???

We have already opted out of any other tests, cause I dont want to know if there is something wrong, cause that just will make my pregnancy bad, just knowing.. My mood etc... i have seem what happens when a mama is unhappy and scared her whole pregnancy, its not nice.. babies are unhappy depressed babies.. I dont want that....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the CF test with Mia in 2005. I wonder why they didn't ask you with your first. We had someone in the family with CF, so it was important for me to be tested. I tested positive, but DH was negative.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I thought it was odd to that I did not get tested with DS???? Heck he just today turned 1 year old.. ??

I just pray that DH is not a carrier for it... I really dont want that stress on me while PG with this baby....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the cf carrier test is not a test they typically do unless there is a family history. unfortunately very few have family histories.

im a carrier and so is my husband, our 5 year old has CF.

CF is a genetic terminal disease, that you can learn more about here: www.cff.org.

the chances of being a carrier are about 1 in 15 in caucasions.

unfortunately i have become quite versed in CF so if you have any more questions please let me know...

im here for you.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh the reason they dont typically do it, is because its an expensive blood test that insurance companies dont want to cover (my sister was tested and her ins company didnt cover it, even tho her sister (me) is a carrier) she is also married to my husbands cousin, so he could have very well been a carrier also.

more and more states are also adding the cf screen to the newborn screenings.

we didnt find out we were carriers until we were preggo with number 4...and our then 3 year old was diagnosed.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
Old 12-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Indy... When I find out what DH is or is not a carrier.. I may pick your brain...

Its really scarey to think that I am a carrier.... But then again.. DS is fine, so I pray that this babe is fine to...
I guess the big question now is if DH is a carrier or not...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yup, no need to worry until you find out if dh is a carrier.

and like your midwife said, even if he is there is only a 25% chance baby will have cf.

just make sure that you tell your children as they approach reproductive age that you are a carrier, cause they can be too.

i wanted to add there is no way baby can have CF if dh isnt a carrier....

Last edited by indysteffanie; 12-23-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if this helps, but CF follows a simple autosomal recessive inheritance pattern, which means the possibility of inheriting it has nothing to do with gender (like some disorders like hemophilia) and the gene has to be inheritted from BOTH parents in order for baby to have it.

If you or your dh is a carrier, it means you inheritted the gene coding for CF from one parent, and a healthy gene from the other parent. If you are both carriers, your baby has 25% chance of not receiving the gene, %50 chance of becoming a carrier, and %25 chance of having CF. If your dh is NOT a carrier, your baby has a %50 chance of not receiving the gene (totally CF free), and %50 chance of becoming a carrier.

HTH

BIG

Last edited by whalvo; 12-23-2007 at 12:29 PM.
whalvo is offline   Reply With Quote