Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
talk to me about fitteds

i used kissaluvs (and pf) with proraps for my boys' first CDs, but we weren't in love with them. they worked great, but we hated the wetness surrounding their bums. are all fitteds this way? was i supposed to put a fleece liner in? and if so, why aren't they lined with fleece (or whatever) already? i know they didn't seem to mind, and we always changed them enough, but it seemed so, i don't know, wrong somehow.

so tell me about why you love fitteds (or pf), because i know many of you do-- i just wonder what im missing out on! we use pockets now, and they work great for us.

Advertisement

titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: talk to me about fitteds

really, no one loves fitteds? hmmm...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like fitteds and love prefolds!

DS cannot do fleece, so OV is nice but plain cotton is great too.

Fitteds are cute, and easy to put on.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I love fitteds because they seem to contain poop better for us right now and there is less wicking. I also mostly use wool covers now so fitteds work great under them. I love PFs, too. Really simple once you get the hang of them, cheap, and no big deal if they get stained!
Yes, you can line them with microfleece if you want something stay-dry. I usually change DS pretty much as soon as I know he's wet, so that's no biggie for us, since he's not actually sitting in wetness that long at a time. You can also find some fitteds with microfleece inners (I think Pattynaps makes some and GAD makes a semi-fitted that you can get a microfleece inner), but I typically find that I change DS enough that it's not a big deal for him. For overnights, I do use a fitted with either microfleece or athletic wicking fabric for an inner, because he is wearing it for so long at a time. If you want fleece liners, you can buy them or you can buy a piece of fleece at Wal-Mart and just cut it into strips that are the right size. Fleece won't unravel, so you don't have to serge/sew the edges. Easy peasy.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, fitteds. I think they are best.

They contain messes better because there are two elastic barriers.

No stuffing or unstuffing, and a reasonable dry time.

No folding or pinning.

No synthetics close to baby's skin.

No stripping.

Not quite as inexpensive as prefolds, but still cheaper than disposables.

Also, you don't get diaper droop the way you sometimes do with a trifolded prefold.

When baby can feel if he's wet, he's more motivated to go in the potty.

You don't have to have the perfect fit if you are using a snug fitting cover, so you can get away with buying only 2 diaper sizes.

I think there's more, but I haven't made an official list yet.

Just a note- if you get super absorbent fitteds and you change frequently then the whole diaper will not be wet, there will just be a wet spot.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies. i am thinking about trying a few out and see what i think. there is something i like about the fitteds and pf, maybe its the simplicity of it? maybe i just want to have some of every cd system out there!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

I love my fitteds, for many reasons already mentioned. I started out with more prefolds than fitteds, but I changed that as soon as I realized how much I like the fitteds. I didn't like how I could never get the legs tight enough on the prefolds. I now have enough that prefolds are only backups. Pockets seem silly to me because you basically have to wash the cover (ie, the FB) every time the diaper (microfiber insert) gets soiled. With fitteds, you aren't washing the cover (and reducing it's effectiveness) each time the diaper inside gets dirty. Makes sense to me to only have to wash the dirty part.

Also, like someone mentioned, I can use a wool cover at night. I love being able to use something so breathable for nights. Is that possible with pockets?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
jkelstaten
Registered Users

I use all kinds (AI2, pockets, pocket fitteds and fitteds w/ wool or plastic) Most our fitteds were custom made are lined with fleece. The others have microsuede. They keep DD nice and dry. The fitteds are great for us during the day. I use the pocket fitteds at night because I can add extra absorbancy without a lot of extra bulk.
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote