Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF after 4 months of bottle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtabby2b View Post
They already tried both of those options and he is also on prevacid. but still no luck. Thanks though!
have looked into maybe a protein intolerance?
http://www.mspiguide.com/aboutus1.cfm

Advertisement

eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
have looked into maybe a protein intolerance?
http://www.mspiguide.com/aboutus1.cfm
This is what I was thinking. My twins and the baby after had it. This baby we got lucky and has not shown any signs of it...
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you might want to try to change the prevacid to zantac. My son had issues with prevacid.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
Tobinnicole
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know it is totally do-able, I was able to get my dd at 5mos to go from straight bottle feedings (I pumped exclusively) to exclusively nursing. It took a couple weeks but we were able to do it with some patience and a nipple shield. Its been a while but I started each feeding with the shield and each feeding I would quickly slip off the shield at 5, 2, 1 min and so on until we werent using it anymore and when she would fuss I would put it back on and try again the next feeding. I found all my tips on kellymom.com. Im impressed that you are willing to do this for your sister in law (I believe?) Is she planning on relactating as well? how will she feed him at night?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

how did it go? its definately possible.
Another thing I just read on mothering mag is that a mom can start relactating after stopping for up to 6 months. So, if the baby's mom ever breastfeed she could still produce milk or get it going again. thats amazing.
babys were not meant for formula so its so hard when these things happen because its difficult to know why.

have they ruled out a cows milk protein allergy?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
drtabby2b
Registered Users

It didn't go well. I expressed a little to get it going and he liked the milk, but he just couldn't latch on. As soon as he would try he just started screaming everytime. I just pumped for him. And to no suprise he has not spit up at all with the breastmilk! My sister-in-law was not willing to breastfeed in the beggining so she is really not willing to re-lactate. She thinks it's weird and grose. I'm truly suprised she let me give him breastmilk, but very glad. Thanks for all the advise!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #17
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't been there myself on trying to nurse someone elses child but I just want to tell you how totally cool I think you are for doing this!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #18
Carly's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtabby2b View Post
It didn't go well. I expressed a little to get it going and he liked the milk, but he just couldn't latch on. As soon as he would try he just started screaming everytime. I just pumped for him. And to no suprise he has not spit up at all with the breastmilk! My sister-in-law was not willing to breastfeed in the beggining so she is really not willing to re-lactate. She thinks it's weird and grose. I'm truly suprised she let me give him breastmilk, but very glad. Thanks for all the advise!
This is to be expected (the screaming). Keep offering the breast as he will need to learn how to latch on and suck. Sucking a mama nipple is completely different from sucking a bottle nipple.

This is not to say to not pump, but I would think have the pumped bottle ready for him, but allow him the chance to try and latch on. Try a couple of times, don't give in to giving him the bottle right away, but also don't let him get to that really screaming/upset point. It's one of those fine lines that are hard to explain in words like this.

Have you tried a "scissor-grip" on your breast? I have large & full breasts and sometimes my DD (who is a PRO at this now) can't latch if I'm really full. So instead of the "C hold" with my thumb on top, I'll move my pointer finger on top of my breast, just behind the areola and then squeeze. Kinda like the scissor motion you make with your hands...KWIM? This also get milk to come out faster.
HTH - don't give up!
It's AWESOME that you are doing this for your 'phew.
Carly's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #19
FiestyJess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

with reflux, it is hit or miss wid meds.. the first ones dont always work.. my ds was on reglan and zantec.. most drs play with the meds ifd there is no improvement.
the rice cereal is 1tabelspoon to every ounce of formula.

i would suggest a nipple sheild if there is issue latching
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #20
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that's awesome you are willing to try this! I know that I used a nipple shield for my own son for 3 months due to a tongue tie (which was clipped at 2 weeks but he wouldn't give up the shield for that long). It was a pain to use, but without it, DS never would have been able to breastfeed properly. He couldn't latch at all. I think it is definitely doable, to get your nephew to nurse. It will take some patience though. Good for you for trying!!
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote