Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:
how often does your newborn eat?

i have a 6 day old and just curious how often she should be eating. she eats about every 2-3 hours for at a minimum of 15 minutes of very very effective sucking. is that enough? my milk is in

Advertisement

jillianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Re: how often does your newborn eat?

That should be enough... as long as she is having 6-8 wet diapers a day and she is having bowel movements regularly then she is getting enough. (She will also be gaining weight) My 11 day old eats about every 2-3 hours (sometimes longer at night) and usually for 10-15 minutes and she's fine.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like its enough as long as she is gaining fine having enought wet/poopy diapers
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:

oh yes she is pooping and peeing plenty lol. we go jan. 4 for her 2 week check up and we'll know about weight gain then. she had lost some weight since coming home (normal i know) but her cheeks are starting to fill out nicely
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow. She eats every 3-4 hours now. I really try to keep her at 3 hours during the day by waking her if she is sleeping. She eats anywhere from 15-25 min now. In the beginning she would eat like 30-45 min. Sounds like your LO is doing great. Keep up the great work mama.
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine eats every 2-3 hours... sometimes sooner... sounds like your LO is right on track
Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Marissa20uk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like your lo is eating a good amount. Some babies are efficient eaters and some like to take their time. Mine eats quick, he is almost 10 months, but he still eats quick and he is a lil butterball! LOL
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:

both my DC ate every 3hrs (2hrs when going through growth spurts) and only ate for 8-10min. total (both sides). DD was always tiny, but DS is normal size...they both grew at 50% rate for height and weight first 6months of life. If they aren't crying that they are hungry, growing fine, and having wet and poopy diapers i wouldn't worry. (also remember BF babies can go up to 10 days with no poopys and that is fine...my DD only poop every 5 days when she was EBFing, but DS poops every day and sometimes twice a day....so every baby is different...i'd say watch the wet diapers more)
Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Tobinnicole
Registered Users

My Mood:

Another good indicator of whether or not your baby is getting a good ratio of foremilk to hindmilk is to check the color of their stool. Is it yellow and curdy? or is it green? Green is bad, that means that your baby is not getting enough hindmilk and isnt getting the proper balance of fat and nutrients. My baby is 1 month old - which I still consider a newborn, and he eats about every 2 hours for 10-15 min. My dd though nursed every three hours for 30-45 min. She was a slooooww eater, it just depends on how effective of an eater your baby is. I just went in last week to the LC and she said that 10-15 min is fine but 15+ is better, and below 10 was not recommended. So if your baby is pooping nice yellow - yellow/orange stool, is wetting frequently, is not fussy after feedings and doesnt accept a paci right after then you are probably doing good! If you want more reasurrance, take your baby to a local lactation consultant and have your baby weighed before and after the feeding to see how much he is eating.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:

thanks! yep she's got yelloe/orange poo and soaks diapers with pee too. she is now cluster feeding for like 10-15 minutes at a clip i think she's starting a growth spurt already