Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how often does your newborn eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinnicole View Post
Another good indicator of whether or not your baby is getting a good ratio of foremilk to hindmilk is to check the color of their stool. Is it yellow and curdy? or is it green? Green is bad, that means that your baby is not getting enough hindmilk and isnt getting the proper balance of fat and nutrients. My baby is 1 month old - which I still consider a newborn, and he eats about every 2 hours for 10-15 min. My dd though nursed every three hours for 30-45 min. She was a slooooww eater, it just depends on how effective of an eater your baby is. I just went in last week to the LC and she said that 10-15 min is fine but 15+ is better, and below 10 was not recommended. So if your baby is pooping nice yellow - yellow/orange stool, is wetting frequently, is not fussy after feedings and doesnt accept a paci right after then you are probably doing good! If you want more reasurrance, take your baby to a local lactation consultant and have your baby weighed before and after the feeding to see how much he is eating.

I wish someone had told me this when I didn't realize I had such an oversupply with a really fast let down and a ton of foremilk. I couldn't figure out why DS wasn't latching well (too fast of let down), was always hungry (foremilk has less fat that hindmilk and is digested much faster) and crabby. Now DS is nursed on the same side for three hours, regardless of how many times he nurses (once or twice), then I switch sides at the next time.

Advertisement

Jaci is offline   Reply With Quote