Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is CLW to you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
oh yah, you should have seen my anti-bfing, MILs face on xmas.. ummm yah...

samonia chasing me saying tittie pweeseeee, mamaaaaa tittieee... oh yah she was FLOORED, i almost peed myself laughing at the faces my mil was making...
OMG, I can just imagine! LOL! That is priceless! LOL

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
OMG, I can just imagine! LOL! That is priceless! LOL

hahaa it was pretty hilarious.. embarrasing in the supermarket or target per say, but hilarious..

oh yah i guess i should say that i offer samonia nursies when she has been to busy to stop and nurse, i let her nurse when she is upset, or just bored (which happens sometimes in her case) i dont offer food before nursing yet though.. when liv was reaching the end of her nursing days (emotionally she was ready to wean) i would offer her a cup or snack in public rather then nursing her, at home and at night i would nurse her when she asked..
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
Letting a child decide when he/she is ready to be done. Not forcing weaning but also encouraging nursing.

Below was/is another thought about "younger" kids. OT. (obviously it was confusing)

Though I believe the "Dont offer, Dont refuse" is helping weaning along since many children will get busy during the day & forget they need/want/etc to nurse (Though I have never really had to offer to my kids since they were/are always attached, lol)
I'm pretty sure I agree with this.

I follow a more "natural weaning" than CLW. As described by LLL, "natural weaning isn't about being the mother who nurses the longest or about entirely denying your own needs and limitations. Setting guidelines is a natural, necessary part of all aspects of your child's life as she grows older." The mother's role in lovingly guiding a child towards readiness is clearly recognized.

So I do the "don't offer, don't refuse" to my toddlers (about 15 months & older) and when Aydin was around 2 years old, I did tell him, "No, it's not time to nurse right now," if I didn't want to nurse him.

Aydin is 2 years, 10 months old and I think he is weaned. I'm not sure...he hasn't nursed in almost 2 weeks and the longest he's gone before this is just 1 week. I'm still nursing Asher several times a day.

ETA: Spoke too soon! Aydin nursed this morning.

Last edited by Psychomom; 12-29-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I'm pretty sure I agree with this.

I follow a more "natural weaning" than CLW. As described by LLL, "natural weaning isn't about being the mother who nurses the longest or about entirely denying your own needs and limitations. Setting guidelines is a natural, necessary part of all aspects of your child's life as she grows older." The mother's role in lovingly guiding a child towards readiness is clearly recognized.

So I do the "don't offer, don't refuse" to my toddlers (about 15 months & older) and when Aydin was around 2 years old, I did tell him, "No, it's not time to nurse right now," if I didn't want to nurse him.

Aydin is 2 years, 10 months old and I think he is weaned. I'm not sure...he hasn't nursed in almost 2 weeks and the longest he's gone before this is just 1 week. I'm still nursing Asher several times a day.
thanks that is pretty much what i did ..he did not ask so i did not offer .. it was time .. i feel good about it .. when he asks we offer something else and he is fine with it.
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with the (as boomer described) "natural weaning" standpoint. Only, I offered, and she refused-- more and more as time went on. I would consider her to have CLW'ed. It wasn't a heartbreaking thing, and it just happened on it's own. She has never asked since, and refused all offers. She's not sad, and we're still attached in other ways. We still lay down together and read, nap together sometimes, and squeeze lots of cuddletime in our day. Nursing wasn't the only time we ever connected, so it really didn't impact our connection. It was an aspect she decided was no longer going to be part of our time together, and although I might have liked to go a little longer, I'm glad she made the decision and there were no hard feelings.

So, CLW = no hard feelings, in my book.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

questions for ya mamas...

CLW to me also means no introduction of bottles whatsoever... i have read that in the "true" def of CLW (kellymom.com i believe, and through API i believe too, dont quote me if im wrong though i could be making it up!? ) so what is your standpoints on bottles? how about cups?

dd drinks from a reg cup now, not a sippy, and only at meals, i dont let her carry a cup around.. she never has had a bottle, we dont even own any backup bottles... what are your view on them

disclaimer: this isnt to start a flaming session, this thread is about our views on the definition of clw
Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, considering I went back to classes when Maddie was 2 weeks old, no bottles wasn't an option if I planned on BF'ing. You can't ask a 2 week old to just wait until you get back from night school. I don't think that you have to be all or nothing about it-- if you did, I'm sure WAYYY fewer Mamas would BF, let alone EBF!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
questions for ya mamas...

CLW to me also means no introduction of bottles whatsoever... i have read that in the "true" def of CLW (kellymom.com i believe, and through API i believe too, dont quote me if im wrong though i could be making it up!? ) so what is your standpoints on bottles? how about cups?

dd drinks from a reg cup now, not a sippy, and only at meals, i dont let her carry a cup around.. she never has had a bottle, we dont even own any backup bottles... what are your view on them

disclaimer: this isnt to start a flaming session, this thread is about our views on the definition of clw
I would suppose that you wouldn't need bottles (unless you are working and pumping BM) at all if you were going with the CLW principles. As for sippy cups and the like, well, the kid (notice I said kid not baby) has to get liquid from somewhere and a kid friendly cup is nice to have around. I think it's still CLW as long as the cup isn't offered in lieu of a nursing session and is not filled with something that is somewhat comparable to BM-such as formula, soy milk, cow's milk, etc. (Notice I said somewhat comparable-not equivalent.)
But I am more interested in "natural weaning" anyhow. I figure that the child is part of a family. While it's important to keep the child's best interests at heart, sometimes the best interests are to teach to child that they aren't the center of the universe, and that parents need time to take care of themselves. Yes, they are loved and cared for very much, but they are part of a family and must learn the give and take dynamics of such a relationship.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madison06 View Post
Well, considering I went back to classes when Maddie was 2 weeks old, no bottles wasn't an option if I planned on BF'ing. You can't ask a 2 week old to just wait until you get back from night school. I don't think that you have to be all or nothing about it-- if you did, I'm sure WAYYY fewer Mamas would BF, let alone EBF!
HAHA could you imagine, "Maddie, hold on for 4 or so hours for food, please be patient, dont cry and scream. LMAO!
yah its DEF not an all or nothing thing.. and i DEF think that some BM is better than nothing at all, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I would suppose that you wouldn't need bottles (unless you are working and pumping BM) at all if you were going with the CLW principles. As for sippy cups and the like, well, the kid (notice I said kid not baby) has to get liquid from somewhere and a kid friendly cup is nice to have around. I think it's still CLW as long as the cup isn't offered in lieu of a nursing session and is not filled with something that is somewhat comparable to BM-such as formula, soy milk, cow's milk, etc. (Notice I said somewhat comparable-not equivalent.)
But I am more interested in "natural weaning" anyhow. I figure that the child is part of a family. While it's important to keep the child's best interests at heart, sometimes the best interests are to teach to child that they aren't the center of the universe, and that parents need time to take care of themselves. Yes, they are loved and cared for very much, but they are part of a family and must learn the give and take dynamics of such a relationship.
that makes perfect sense, if its not offered in lieu of nursing!

i totally understand those principles, and i guess thats what im thinking too, i wouldnt nurse samonia if i TOTALLY hated it, kwim? and they do need to learn the give and take of relationships and family dynamics, esp if there are older sibllings involved, who are needing mommy at the same time they wanna nurse, kwim?

calideedle helped me in a thread with my VERY demanding CLW'r Samonia, who wants to nurse 24/7 and FLIPS out if i dont let her.. so i have started the "when mommy is done ________, then you can nurse!" and its working pretty well, unless she is tired or has gone more than 3 hrs w/o nursing, she goes into a frenzy!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
COUNT MINE IN TOO!! samonia beeegs to nurse, when im in the shower, going potty , cooking dinner, the MOST unopportune times to nurse.. only guess what my dh taught her to call her nursies, instead of "nursies" like she has said..

ummm...

"tittie pweaseeee mama........"

umm yah

samonia nurses all day, all night more than she did when she was a newborn... apparently my dh finds it amusing.. argh.
Thats us too. Snuggles!! all day