Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is CLW to you ?

Due to divorce, I had to wean my older dd at 2, I put up with a horrible relationship for an additional year so that she could get that full 2 years in. Even to this day I wonder if I cut her short on the time she needed, but coulda, woulda, shoulda right? I did watch my stepmom and sister do clw and it was a very gentle and nurturing adventure for them. Sis was almost 7 before she stopped asking for neenee. I think this time with dd,(8 mos) I will practice clw and just let things go as they should. I don't want to have that nagging regret in the back of my mind again.

I am not saying that anyone else and their childrearing ideals is any more or less better than my own, I am only stating my personal reflections.

As for bottles, neither of my girls have had them, I was fortunate to be able to wait to goback to school till older dd was 8 mos so she could use a cup. And I am very fortunate to be able to be home full time with this one.

Advertisement

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #22
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
questions for ya mamas...

CLW to me also means no introduction of bottles whatsoever... i have read that in the "true" def of CLW (kellymom.com i believe, and through API i believe too, dont quote me if im wrong though i could be making it up!? ) so what is your standpoints on bottles? how about cups?

dd drinks from a reg cup now, not a sippy, and only at meals, i dont let her carry a cup around.. she never has had a bottle, we dont even own any backup bottles... what are your view on them

disclaimer: this isnt to start a flaming session, this thread is about our views on the definition of clw
We have never used bottles andave never owned any. No need to. I think as long as a bottle isnt being given instead of nursing then yeah its CLW. I hate bottles but thats me
Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
But I am more interested in "natural weaning" anyhow. I figure that the child is part of a family. While it's important to keep the child's best interests at heart, sometimes the best interests are to teach to child that they aren't the center of the universe, and that parents need time to take care of themselves. Yes, they are loved and cared for very much, but they are part of a family and must learn the give and take dynamics of such a relationship.
Personally we DO believe our kids are the center of the universe for this short period in their lives and they get/got to nurse anytime they want. I still get to shower, clean, cook, etc & DH and I get PLENTY of "us" time (when he is home). We/I always have time to take care of myself but for these few years I choose to let them nurse and CLW which really is natural weaning.

Just my view.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Jenifer;2390879] HAHA could you imagine, "Maddie, hold on for 4 or so hours for food, please be patient, dont cry and scream. LMAO!
yah its DEF not an all or nothing thing.. and i DEF think that some BM is better than nothing at all, kwim?

Yeah, my point exactly! I got flamed by some local lactivists for going back to school so early, that I was "ruining" our BF relationship. Well, not going back would have meant no scholarship, no degree, and no means of supporting us! I pumped and gave her a bottle while I was gone. I was pumping 10 ounces a day (in addition to nursing FT) for a while there while I was doing night classes around 8-9 months, and it was crazy. I did so much to keep us breastfeeding, and for us, part of that arrangement was a bottle/cup. It works for many Moms, and I don't think just because you use/have used a bottle/cup, you're not CLWing.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"Don't offer, don't refuse" is a joke! I can't even sit or stand still w/o my nearly 3 y/o DS saying "Nursies Mummy, Nursies"
Old 12-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #26
sarahpotter
Registered Users
seller

Location: where you can have the heater and airconditioner on in the same day
My Mood:

i was wondering what CLW was...
what is this called?...
i usually wait for my 15mo ds to ask, he uses sign language, and it's usually only when he is ready to nap/sleep when he does ask. sometimes, he's just wanting momma or thirsty. so it's a total of maybe 10mintues of nursing a day.
i'm 22wks preg. with my second baby, a ds, and i really really don't want to be done nursing my first. i'm looking forward to tandem nurse my two sons.

so i sometimes offer it to him to remind him he still can.
i know that when i have my second baby, my first will actually be getting milk, my supply is so low cuz of the pregnancy. so maybe if there is more milk, he wont forget.

Last edited by sarahpotter; 12-29-2007 at 07:50 PM.
sarahpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #27
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, so maybe I'm confused, but I thought that CLW stood for Child Led Weaning. And if one is wanting their child to wean, wouldn't that be something other than Child Led Weaning. Like Passive Weaning or Direct Weaning or something? I mean, doesn't Child Led Weaning mean that lo has decided he/she no longer wants to nurse, or is there a Dr. Sears book I missed? I am not knocking anyone here at all. I am just trying to understand if we are talking about encouraging babies to not nurse or if we are talking about our children telling us when they don't want to nurse anymore...And Kudos to you mama for going back to school, for making that huge sacrifice to get that supportive degree, I know how hard it was for me to go back to school and my dd was older than yours.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 AM   #28
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Dire Wolf;2393478]Okay, so maybe I'm confused, but I thought that CLW stood for Child Led Weaning. And if one is wanting their child to wean, wouldn't that be something other than Child Led Weaning. Like Passive Weaning or Direct Weaning or something? I mean, doesn't Child Led Weaning mean that lo has decided he/she no longer wants to nurse, or is there a Dr. Sears book I missed? QUOTE]

see IMO letting them decide when/not to nurse is THIER choice, however with my VERY VERY demanding nurser (she is 15 months and is seriously attached all day, no joke, flips out if i go potty, ect. i started a thread about it a few weeks ago) I have set some boundries, for my sanity, AND to save our nursing relationship, bc mama was going a bit looney... not to put an end to our nursing relationship, just to make sure she becomes a little more patient with ripping my shirt off.. lol

i asked a friend lastnight about CLW (she is like my aunt, but not by blood, kwim?) she told me in her opinion that the child decides when he/she wants to nurse and the child is in control of how much/often they nurse.. she too went by the dont offer to nurse, but dont refuse a nursing session with her kiddos (whom all CLW around 3-4ish)

Calideedle, i agree with you, i guess once we have kids our priorities change a bit.. i was thinking about the center of the universe comment, and in a sense they are the center of the universe when they are little, like it or not, our older ones do have to take a bit of a back seat to thier new bro/sis.... oh yah and showering alone, not an option here hahahaaaaaaaa i would KILL for a shower alone! priorities change when our kids are born... my mom and i joke that alot of "maintstream" parents believe thier kids are accessories, sad just sad!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #29
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I think of CLW, I think of your LO nursing whenever they want for however long. To me, "Don't Offer, Don't Refuse" seems more like a 'gentle weaning.' I guess what comes to mind is, if DD gets hurt, I'll pick her up to make sure she's ok. Then, if I see that she is, but is still upset, I'll offer to nurse her and it makes booboos all better!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #30
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
ummm...

"tittie pweaseeee mama........"

umm yah