Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
ahava'smama
Registered Users

colicky baby anyone??

My sweet dd2 screams all of the time if she is not being held or nursing (at night included) she will go down for naps during the day occasionally. She has monstrous gas most of the time... some friends said dairy could be the culprit... ??? we tried going off milk for a week, but it is in like EVERYTHING.... what would you suggest? The doctor said "the best cure for colic is TIME" Maybe she's right and that would be fine, but it is so sad listening to her scream in pain. Any ideas anyone?

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: colicky baby anyone??

I have been there mama. My #2 DD would cry from 1 pm until 8 pm. Milk was the problem for us, all I had to do was cut out fluid milk and she was so much better, I am sure if I had cut it completely it would have been even better. Some babies are more sensitive and need it completely out. I know that is hard to do, that is why I didn't do it.

That said, have you tried Hylands colic tabs. They helped some too, I got them before I stopped drinking milk and saw some relief. I know most people don't recommend this but it worked on my 1st DD, give 1-2 oz of warm water to the baby. Then lay the baby across your arm stomach side down and rub her back. She would fart like no tomorrow and feel so much better.

I hope one of these things helps, they all worked in our house. Good luck mamma, if nothing else, does taking a car ride help, at least to give you a little quiet time.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

DEFINITLEY BTDT!!!! DD was a colicky mess until about 6-7 months and then one day she was like perfect baby. So, the time thing is true. Do you have a baby carrier? So you can hold her, shes quiet and you can still do whatever you need to. Definitley invest in one if you dont have one.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

My dd is a screamer too. For the first 3 months she had to be held constantly, then all of the sudden she wouldn't even let us hold her. Now, she is back to wanting to be held again . Colic tablets worked better for my dd then the gas drops, and the taste of them in her mouth seems to get her attention and stop her crying for a few min. at least. The tablets are not good though if dairy is the problem because they are made with lactose. My dd is some what sensitive to dairy, no milk, ice cream, or sour cream and I try not to eat to much other dairy but she can use the colic tablets. I think for an elimination diet to take effect it is around 10 days to 2 weeks before the "offensive" foods are completely out of your system. A carrier can be a life saver if your dd will be happy in it. The other thing that my dd loves is the swing.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

My DS#1 had colic bad for about 3 mos. It seemed to be after I stopped nursing and switched to formula. His wasnot so much the dairy, but he could not handle all the iron in the formula. Sometimes 1-2 ounces of fennel tea would sooth his tummy, also 1-2 oz of peppermint water. You can get fennel tea at a heathfood store. I would just drop a peppermint candy into a bottle with 2 oz water and that would seem to sooth his tummy. If I would have known about Hylands colic tablets I would have tried those, their teething tablets are great. DS will be 11 in sept so they not have been around back then. lol Sometimes to get some sleep I would put him in his swing and turn on the vaccuum cleaner! I was desperate!

I sure hope something works for her!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

Gripe Water was our saving grace. Baby's Bliss makes it. You just put it in baby's bottle, and it helps relieve all kinds of tummy issues, from gas to upset tummy. My first and third were colicky, and this stuff really helped a bunch. You can get it at your local healthfood store or online. Oh, and get a sling of some sort bcs colicky babies need/love to be held and walked (well, every baby does, but you get what I mean) and with a sling you will be able to get stuff done while comforting baby. Not a baby bjorn or something though, try a pouch or RS- more comfy!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMer
Gripe Water was our saving grace. Baby's Bliss makes it. You just put it in baby's bottle, and it helps relieve all kinds of tummy issues, from gas to upset tummy. My first and third were colicky, and this stuff really helped a bunch. You can get it at your local healthfood store or online. Oh, and get a sling of some sort bcs colicky babies need/love to be held and walked (well, every baby does, but you get what I mean) and with a sling you will be able to get stuff done while comforting baby. Not a baby bjorn or something though, try a pouch or RS- more comfy!!
Gripe water never really worked for us - but the Hyland Colic Tablets did and do. We still use them occasionally when she is fussy/not feeling well. Definitley worth it to try both of them.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #8
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

I have BTDT and it sucks so bad!

I would recommend Happiest Baby on the Block (the book, there's also a DVD if you have no time to read). It saved our sanity.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
shell015
Banned
seller

OK You all may think I am on crack but I swear by this method... run the vacum. DS chills out instantly when I turn it on. He just passes smooth out and it fine. Try it. It sounds crazy but it really works.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well cutting out dairy worked wonders for me. It did take longer than a week to get out of my system though. It was worth it not having poor DS scream and cry from pain. I wish I had known sooner.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote