Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
golgi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Help me get rid of mastitis!!!

Hey Mamas ~

So, I'm coming down with my second dose of mastisis in less than two months. The first time, I went to the doctors and they put me on antibiotics and it went away... however, this time I'd rather try to stay away from the antibiotics if possible. Any suggestions??

Its definitely mastitis, I feel the same as before - awful headaches, fatigued, severe chills and high fevers. Today I actually feel OK, but I am starting to get a good sized hard spot in my left breast. If I get a fever again I'm calling the Dr.'s tomorrow - its so hard to feel that way with newborn twins to take care of!!

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Advertisement

golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me get rid of mastitis!!!

REST, Drink LOTS of water & Gatorade, NURSE as much as you can on the hurting side, Hot showers & Hot wash rags on your chest!

HTHs
Old 12-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
REST, Drink LOTS of water & Gatorade, NURSE as much as you can on the hurting side, Hot showers & Hot wash rags on your chest!

HTHs

All that and swallow whole garlic. Garlic has "antibiotic" properties. Lots of mamas here gave me that advice, and I read it on Kellymom.com. It worked, but I stunk for days!
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
BooBooKisses Momma
Banned
seller

don't wear bras to bed if you can help it. Don't wear underwire especially. So many moms don't realize how much their boobs fluctuate between nursings, can make your bra cause mastisis. Keep your boobs dry, change your nursing pads when they are damp. Pump the affected side if your baby can't nurse long enough to empty you. Warm packs, cool packs, whatever helps. Ibuprofen for the swelling, pain. Drinks lots of fluids. Nurse frequently. Use the affected side first if you can. Don't sleep on the affected side. If you have probiotis take them.

I had it a couple times too when I was nursing. There's usually a cause, and usually its the wrong size bra, wet pads, too much pressure, or not emptying completely.
BooBooKisses Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
mommaduck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooKisses Momma View Post
don't wear bras to bed if you can help it. Don't wear underwire especially. So many moms don't realize how much their boobs fluctuate between nursings, can make your bra cause mastisis. Keep your boobs dry, change your nursing pads when they are damp. Pump the affected side if your baby can't nurse long enough to empty you. Warm packs, cool packs, whatever helps. Ibuprofen for the swelling, pain. Drinks lots of fluids. Nurse frequently. Use the affected side first if you can. Don't sleep on the affected side. If you have probiotis take them.

I had it a couple times too when I was nursing. There's usually a cause, and usually its the wrong size bra, wet pads, too much pressure, or not emptying completely.
All of this plus:

Add tea tree oil to warm damp cloths onto the affected area.

Try nursing a few times on your hands and knees (ie., babe on the bed, you on your h&k over them, boobs hanging down). This helps "draw" the milk (and infection) from your breast, re-establishing proper flow and releasing any further blockage. It's a pain, but well worth it!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I've had this one time and my LCs really encouraged me to take the antibiotics or cease nursing him and pump and dump.. They said the infection can cause the baby to get sick and I needed to take the situation seriously.. Other than taking the antibiotics, the other suggestions above will greatly help ease your pain, particulary the hot rags/compresses on your breast(s)... Good luck mama!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
golgi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bamamom* View Post
I've had this one time and my LCs really encouraged me to take the antibiotics or cease nursing him and pump and dump.. They said the infection can cause the baby to get sick and I needed to take the situation seriously.. Other than taking the antibiotics, the other suggestions above will greatly help ease your pain, particulary the hot rags/compresses on your breast(s)... Good luck mama!
Wow! I was told the exact opposite... The first time I had it, I was told to nurse as much as possible - and that it would not hurt the babies at all!! Hmmmm...
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hmm.. maybe I have it wrong then.. I had it back when he was 12 months or so and what I had wasn't just a plugged duct, it was an actual infection of my breast that caused me to have fever and flu-like symptoms basically, I *thought* they called it mastitis.. maybe I'm wrong though.. But both my LCs highly recommended to take the amox my family dr prescribed.. I really didn't want to, so called the LC to see what their thoughts were... (I found out quickly that regular drs tell you things that aren't really the case when it comes to bfing, the LC specialize in this so I ALWAYS take their word when it comes to this stuff..) But they highly recommended to not play around and take the meds to clear it up.. and if I didn't want to take the meds, don't nurse the baby but pump and dump until I stopped having the fevers. I think I had a pretty bad case maybe is the difference?
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
mommaduck
Registered Users

DON'T quit nursing! It doesn't hurt the baby. Your antibodies help protect the baby. And if you decide to take antibiotics, the babe gets some of that as well. Nursing actually helps. Quitting can make things worse.

Was looking up more info on mastitis this morning and one mother with twins also had repeat episodes. Recommendation was that she assign one breast to each babe, therefore that breast gets used to the amount that baby takes. Switching can cause one breast to over produce, risking blockage and infection.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope it goes away soon. I had very hard time getting rid of it without antibiotics when I got those when I was nursing my first. It is infection, so antibiotics got rid of it fast and helped with the symptoms. Hugs mama!

Last edited by ForCryingOutLoud; 12-31-2007 at 08:44 AM.
ForCryingOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote