Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help milk is drying up

I tried feengueek.... I need some other methods to try .... We were only 1/2 nursing and now he cant even do that I nursed him for an hour last nite and then still had to give him a bottle.

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: help milk is drying up

You can try increasing your fluid intake with plain water and juice.. I found that mothers milk tea helped too, I bought it from GNC. The only other things I can recommend it to use a good pump.. nurse the baby first (then give him his formula to finish filling him), then double pump for about 15 minutes. Just keep repeating this until your milk comes back up to par. It can take a few weeks (took me 8) I had to do this very thing when my milk almost completely dried up when he was 7 weeks old.. of course, I was very sick with pneumonia and hospitalized so I couldn't bf him for a couple days. OH, and if I could go back and do it again.. I would purchase one of those nursing systems by medela.. bascially you can put formula in it and it has a tube that goes down to your nipple, so the baby is getting full, yet giving you the stimulation you need to keep producing the milk.. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating, but it's worth it if you can stay at it and get it back up there..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
uoducks
Registered Users

i understand that the more you nurse, the more milk you make.

also, eating oatmeal and drinking dark beer is supposed to increase supply.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
julucas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The best way I know to increase milk supply is offer the breast as often as possible. I would also highly recommend a supplemental nursing system so that you can supplement at the breast and cut out bottles all together. There is a learner curve, but you can get it. How much fenugreek did you take? I would go with 3 caps 4 times a day until you get things back on track. There are other galactalogues you can try, but I liked fengreek the best.

You mentioned that you were only half-nursing. This is more than likely why you supply is plummeting. Drinking from a bottle is much less work, and the baby has less incentive to nurse vigorously if he knows a bottle is on the way.

And lastly, I know this is easy to say...but try to get as much rest as possible, and try to relax about the situation. You body KNOWS how to make enough milk for your baby. It is a little confused right now, but you can straighten it out! Your baby is very lucky to have a mama that has already given it a month's worth of breastmilk!