Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My SIL pumping but not giving milk to baby

I just don't get it!! my SIL had her baby Dec. 21. She planned to bf and to supplement...no particular reasons - just mainstream over here and that's what she did with the first. No big deal maybe not the best for the baby but he's not going hungry. Here's my 'beef' with her. She started pumping to get her milk to come in a little faster...it worked and everything. I don't know what she did with the milk she pumped int he hospital (he's just now coming home today). She was discharged and they just go visit as much as possible. So when she goes and visits, she nurses him ( ) when she's gone or at home they feed him formula at the hospital, upon mother's instructions. Well she's pumping at home as well but just leaving the milk in the fridge as she collects. and she'll keep adding milk on top of milk if she doesn't pump a full 4 oz bottle. I was there all week and the two bottles just sat in the fridge and she didn't take it to the hospital to feed to the baby. She didn't 'measure' how much she was pumping cuz the nurse asked and she didn't know. That wasn't a big deal but I just didn't get why she wouldn't take the milk she pumped and leave it in the nursery for him to have while she wasn't there??I know she isn't fully committed to BF but still. Don't throw milk away either... and they went and bought a HUGE can of formula for when he comes home

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My SIL pumping but not giving milk to baby

Yeah..I'd be a little peeved myself. Thats just plain silly. I mean if she's still pumping and wants to nurse him, then there's no reason not to bring the milk. Does she know she can bring it?

I mean think of the money she would save if she didn't have to supply formula!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might as well use the pumped milk it is free! Unlike buying formula which is pricey!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
mommaduck
Registered Users

Unfortunately, some hospitals won't use the pumped milk because they are all about the sugar calories from the formula...it's a matter of stick weight on the baby quick to move them out, rather than what is actually best for the baby. Could the nurses at her hospital be this way? Thus causing her discouragement?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find that weird. I'm reminded again and again how thankful I am for the hospital I birthed at. They are pro-breastfeeding, and encouraged me to pump so they could feed him colostrum in the hospital while I recovered from a c-section and he had problems latching. If you want formula for whatever reason, you have to specifically ask for it. I think it's silly she's going through the work to pump but then her milk is going to waste.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that's petty senseless... Back almost 15 yrs ago my older son was 5 wks premature & was in the nicu... every day when I came to see him, I'd bring my cooler of pumped milk for them to put in his feeding tube - they even supplied me with the bottle containers! I feel so fortunate that they were so helpful with bfing, even that long ago...
I'm glad to hear he's at least getting some though, it's better than none at all, right? Maybe she's one of those mama's that plan to just bf the first month and that's that? It's just a shame she's wasting that milk in the fridge though..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I don't think they 'discourage' her bringing the pumped milk...not from anything I heard, but only because I saw 2 huge refridgerators labeled 'breastmilk only'. And there were posted instructions to put child's name, etc. if you were leaving milk.

yeah I can get past her deciding not to bf later. $ isn't an issue with them so they don't really care on that part. My issue was her just leaving the milk at home or dumping it out. and yes mama at least he is getting some. But then she's not going back to work until march so that could be at least 3 good months of BF. Again they are very mainstream and I don't think she fully understands the whole supply and demand aspect of bf. the nurse asked why she decided to supplement and she said he still 'acted' hungry after she nursed. I would have brought the pumped milk if for some reason she felt she was empty after nursing (though one of her sessions was only 10 m inutes total for both sides. My little guy always nursed a lot longer than that). Some of it I think is just lack of information but she is the type that would take offense if you offer suggestions because they've kind of already made their mind up. I so badly wanted to ask her about the milk in the fridge. We talked about nursing a little but not much as they are touchy on some subjects. now my girlfriends could have talked openly and freely.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
Yeah..I'd be a little peeved myself. Thats just plain silly. I mean if she's still pumping and wants to nurse him, then there's no reason not to bring the milk. Does she know she can bring it?

I mean think of the money she would save if she didn't have to supply formula!

exactly. I would 'think' she'd know cuz the hospital gave her the pump she has and they encouraged the nursing and they have fridge for pumped milk. I mean me posting this won't change anything I just had to get it off my chest.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

well thats odd, My mil told me that with one of her daughters that was a premee she would pump and pump and bring the bottles to the hospital for the baby labeled with the dates and everything she would come back and they would still be int he little fridge they never used her pumped milk so she just gave up ..... when her daughter was 4 months old she died of sids at home. Not saying that she would have lived if she was give BM just adding that.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
mommaduck
Registered Users

I'm sorry, Lisa. I don't understand why people don't take advantage of being able to do what they can either, or simply wasting in such a manner.