Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #21
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My SIL pumping but not giving milk to baby

Sorry if my response sounded snarky. And for the record, I have no idea why anyone would throw out perfectly good homemade casserole

Advertisement

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

np mama...just trying to let you know i've not asked her anything about it or asked what is she doing with it, or why..etc. etc. etc. i'm not calling her up and saying 'you shouldn't be doing this'. I'm very supportive in my conversations with her, as we both bfed and ff. just thinking out loud on my part

i'd ask for the casserole for my family b4 someone threw it out.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #23
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
My questioning was not WHAT she feeds the baby necessarily because we talked about her nursing and including formula, it was why go through the work part of it and throw away - and her doing it every day several times a day.
That's how I see it too. If she's not committed to BFing, and is buying formula anyway, why bother pumping and then throwing it away? It makes no sense.

I could never bring myself to throw away BM even when it was expired because to me it's like liquid gold! It was a PITA to pump and I just don't get why someone would go to that hassle if they weren't going to use the milk.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
That's how I see it too. If she's not committed to BFing, and is buying formula anyway, why bother pumping and then throwing it away? It makes no sense.

I could never bring myself to throw away BM even when it was expired because to me it's like liquid gold! It was a PITA to pump and I just don't get why someone would go to that hassle if they weren't going to use the milk.
The twins were born at 35 weeks and had latching issues so I was pumping colostrum and giving it to them in a syringe. Especially Aslan needed it because his blood sugar was low. I had gotten enough to fill a huge syringe and had it sitting on my tray waiting for them to wake up. My mil brought the older kids in to see us and Moira jumped up on my bed and grabbed the syringe and says, "hey, mom what's this?" as she proceeds to squirt it out all over the bed. I almost cried. It had taken me all night to pump that much colostrum.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #25
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay just b/c I'm a nurse.. i've worked in 4 different NICUs and I know never is breastfeeding discouraged. The hosp I work in now is the worst as far as no LC on staff but they still have a pump room and frige for pumping. I think maybe it makes some nurses a little funny (since it's a body fluid and all and they feel like they're handling blood) but I've never heard anyone discourage..All doctors I talk to know that bm is best and any nurse would agree with me.

so yeah that's my two cents on the whole hospitals discouraging thing. I just don't think it's true in this day and age.

as far as your sil.. wow I would NEVER throw away milk.. I have a freezer full (long story and oversupply) and I refuse to throw it away.. I may end up makign bm soap
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #26
angeldelight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find this such an odd topic, and i dont really what to say. She may have reasons for what shes doing, then again she may not but is it really doing any harm to anyone? There are much worse things people do in this world.

I couldnt BF either of my children the second was because she was sick after each bf as there was alot of blood in my milk. I dont think people can judge others without knowing the facts behind this, then again whats to judge no harms being done
angeldelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #27
mommaduck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
I just don't think it's true in this day and age.
I was speaking from the experience of having done a peer consultation for a friend of the family whose premiee had been transfered to a big children's hospital. The nurse stood there and rolled her eyes while the mama attempted to breastfeed (she literally stood over us and didn't give us any privacy, causing more nervousness on the mama's part)...then after only 5-10 min came with the syringe full of formula. An SNS was recommended and they said they had never heard of such a thing and made it apparent they could care less. The message was, "this is easier". From conversations with the mama later, the nurses made it clear to her that the goal of weight gain meant more than a breastfeeding relationship as far as they (the nurses) were concerned.

However, simply because it happened there, I don't assume that it happens everywhere. I'm glad to hear that that is not the norm nationwide. I simply wanted to note that it does happen and is something to watch for.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
I find this such an odd topic, and i dont really what to say. She may have reasons for what shes doing, then again she may not but is it really doing any harm to anyone? There are much worse things people do in this world.

I couldnt BF either of my children the second was because she was sick after each bf as there was alot of blood in my milk. I dont think people can judge others without knowing the facts behind this, then again whats to judge no harms being done

Mama this wasn't a topic meant what food was best for the baby. I was only thinking out loud...just thoughts ya know? No harm to anyone but we are still entitled to feelings and thoughts about anything right? No judgement being passed.....I did spend time with the mama (almost a week) they are doing what they are feeling is best for their family. The mom baby dad and big sister are all doing wonderfully. The baby is home now and growing really well. My perspective again was why the work and then throw it away that's all. I was not passing judgment on whether BF or formula is better. BOth happens to be working well for them.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #29
mommaduck
Registered Users

Glad to hear the baby is home
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #30
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck View Post
Unfortunately, some hospitals won't use the pumped milk because they are all about the sugar calories from the formula...it's a matter of stick weight on the baby quick to move them out, rather than what is actually best for the baby. Could the nurses at her hospital be this way? Thus causing her discouragement?
This is true, but, you can also just give the baby the cream when it separates out. Our hospital was willing to do this with our (slightly preemie) DS #1.

Very odd, to me. Maybe she just doesn't think she can transport it safely? Does she know that if it is in a cooler with an ice pack it will be fine?
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote