Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Am I doing something wrong?

When I pump, I'm getting between .25 and 1 oz per breast. I have a Medela Harmony and the Ameda Purely Yours. In the past, I've been able to get between 3-4 oz per breast. Am I pumping wrong? DD nurses on one side, then I pump the other. I am worried that suddenly I'm not making enough milk. I really don't want to give her formula.

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

You know I use to worry about the samething. I would pump both sides and get from 1-1.5 ounces per side. That was even when my daughter was 6 months old! But when I gave it to her, she always seemed competely full. It bothered me b/c my friends baby the same age was eating 6-8 oz at a time! I later realized that was all she needed. A lot of doctors say they have to have x amount of ounces. Well some babies eat more and some eat less just like adults. Still at 11 months old she eats every 3-4 hours but not many a lot of ounces.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Babies are the best breastpump they can express milk much better than a pump can...as long as she is satisfied when is done she is getting enough just follow her cues! best of luck!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are really wanting to express more milk then you could try pumping an extra time or two each day, but unless you actually NEED the extra milk, don't worry about it. I mean, if the baby isn't going hungry then you are pumping enough.
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Pumping isn't the best gauge of how milk you are producing. As someone else mentioned, babies are much more efficient at removing milk from the breast than any pump. I've read that you can weigh the baby on a baby scale before and after a feeding to determine how much milk the baby is ingesting at a feeding (though that's inconvenient if you don't have a baby scale). If your baby is happy, gaining weight and is satisfied after a feeding, I wouldn't worry about it. DEFINITELY don't give her formula just based on the pumping results. If you do, she'll nurse less, and if she nurses less, you'll produce less milk and it creates a vicious cycle that can seriously hamper your breastfeeding relationship.

Many women produce more milk than their baby needs for the first couple of months because of hormone production (the same hormones that cause engorgement when your milk first comes in). Once the hormones begin to subside, milk production becomes supply-driven instead--you produce just the right amount for your baby's needs.

http://www.lalecheleague.org has a lengthy FAQ on breastfeeding. You might want to check it out...I've found it very helpful. Good luck, and enjoy your baby

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I've just been worried about it recently b/c she has been taking bottles of milk since I'm at work. I gave her a 4 oz bottle yesterday and afterwards she was eating her hands like she was still hungry. If I wasn't working again, I wouldn't worry about the amount I'm pumping.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote