Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
kittkat398
Registered Users
seller

Pumping HELP

I'm sitting here in tears please someone tell me there is hope that I can pump. I don't want to give dd formula unless absolutely neccessary. Jerk ex left me when I was pg w/dd. Now to work and let dd go for visitation I need to have something for her to eat. I only have a piece of **** hand pump and I just tried to pump but I only got half an ounce. The milk is there I can feel it but it doesn't want to come out. I can hardly find time to pump anyway with kids constantly running around it's just a mess.
Will my body adjust to the pump, will I be able to get more in the future? Any tips, please?
I want to quit but I can't!!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by kittkat398; 01-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
kittkat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping HELP

Get a better pump! Relax & breath! If you are stresses and crying its doubtful you'll get a lot out!

Just relax, it will come Mama!

Try and get a double electric pump! I have never been able to pump ANYTHING until I borrowed my friends double electric (always used handheld manual pumps) and got tons!

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
majormommy
Registered Users

I second the double electric. It takes time for your breasts to adjust to the pump. It took me 2 weeks of pumping very regularly for me to pump enough for it to flow enough to get a feeding in 20 min of pumping. Don't quit! Relax and be happy and the milk will flow!
majormommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started with a hand pump (medela's little hearts one, I believe) and at first I couldn't get a ton, but I tried at it and was eventually able to get 3 or so ounces. You do need to relax, try to pump right after feeding (particularly on the side that baby fed the least on) and try to pump in the morning, or after a long sleep, that is when your breasts are fullest.

If you can't afford a double electric pump, maybe you can get one of the smaller battery operated ones that are to be used for "occasional" times away from home. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping really stinks- I hate it but I do it so ds has breast milk. I agree with everyone- get a good electric pump. You can rent one from most hospitals and some insurances pay for it. Its usually about 40-50 dollars a month-way cheaper than formula. You can try nursing on one side and pumping on the other- I do that if I need milk in a hurry. Your body will produce more milk for your baby to adjust
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
bettybites
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about an Avent Isis handpump? It's designed to work more like a baby actually sucking, and it does a good job. I just posted an ISO for one and got one for 4ppd!

I worked full-time with my first, and used this handpump with great results!

And as far as getting more milk, yes your breasts will get used to the pump. The key to getting a lot of milk is pumping when your breasts are the fullest. (first thing in the morning is a good time for me, if I need to get some milk stocked up I will feed her on the same side a few times so the other side is nice and full and then I pump it.) Drink lots and lots of water and stay calm. When you are pumping, make sure you are comfortable, and think about your baby.

Could you maybe set your alarm and get up in the middle of the night for a quick pumping session for like ten minutes?

It sucks to pump and hard to find time to sneak pumping sessions in, but it can be done- and the effort is soooo worth it!

You can do it!

Anyone looking to trade some mama cloth for a large long black Glamourmom nursing tank?
bettybites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an ISIS because they got such good reviews, but I had trouble using it and finally bought a medela electric- a new model called swing and I had WAY bettter luck with that. It wasn't too expensive. If you're going to be pumping a lot why don't you rent a double to try. It might be really helpful to have in the beginning especially. They are so nice and adjustable and pumping both sides at once tends to work really well.
In the early days I needed to really relax and look at my baby to get my milk to let down. Now I can relax, take deep breaths and think milky thoghts and it will let down. It takes a bit of practice- you'll get it!
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
kittkat398
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, this morning went better and I am going to try to get a double electric pump.
kittkat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GL mama, I hope you're able to get your hands on a double-electric pump. In the long run it will be cheaper (and way better for your LO)! Maybe Ebay?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've also found that smelling my shirt or bra really helps, because it smells like my LO. I hope things start working out for you!