Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want to nightwean... advice?

DD is about to turn one. She's mostly been a co-sleeper, especially lately since we keep the house cold at night. I would really like to nightwean her and get her out of our bed. The last few nights she's been demanding the boob over the paci, even though she doesn't nurse long enough to get milk before she's back to sleep. She nurses several times a night still. Quite frankly, I'm tired.

My breastfeeding goal was to make it to at least 18 months with her, but I'm finding myself counting down the days to her first birthday like it'll be okay if we quit then. I realized it's just the night nursing I'm tired of and I'd be more than happy to continue bfing during the day.

How can I nightwean without throwing in the towel altogether? Any tips?

Advertisement

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
kadas33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to nightwean... advice?

Here's a great article on gradual night weaning:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
kadas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
*monica*
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for posting that article. I've been trying to figure out a way to do this unsuccessfully for a while now I think I'm going to try it right away
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
fkonkal
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my best friend night weaned her kids, she did a couple of things. She went from sleeping the in nude to sleeping in pjs that ds and dd couldn't get into. And she had dh sleep between her and the nursling. DH had to get used to doing some night time parenting in order to help with the night weaning, but after a couple of weeks it worked. And both of her kids went on to nurse during the day for another 2 years.
fkonkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
goddessofflight
Registered Users

My Mood:

we have just started the second day of 3's in the dr. jay gordon article.

its hard.. instead of 6 i wake up at 430 to nurse her (since she is use to waking up with her daddy then anyway)

ive had some engorgement even thought DD is 15M. but she makes up for it during the day.

HUGs.. im right there with you

excited to meet our new little guy in Oct 08.

proud Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Extended Breastfeeding, Nursing while pregnant mama
goddessofflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
skueppers
Registered Users

My experience with my daughter was that nothing really worked to reduce her nighttime waking/nursing until she was ready, but once she was ready, it was pretty easy. So part of my suggestion is to try something, but to be prepared to back off from it if it doesn't seem to be going anywhere after a few days and try again in a few weeks or a month.

The other thing I found is that night weaning required me to be a lot more alert than nursing did.

We weren't co-sleeping, and my daughter was down to one waking per night at the time when I did this. She was 17 months old.

I started reducing the duration of her nighttime nursing sessions -- starting out with 20 minutes, then reducing by 2 minutes per day until we got to 10 minutes, then by 1 minute per day until we got to 0. If she was still awake when I unlatched her, I offered her water in a sippy cup and then held her until she fell asleep, when I put her back in her crib. She did sometimes cry for a few minutes while I was holding her, but it wasn't extreme.

A week after we stopped nursing at night, she started sleeping through the night almost every night.

My son is 11 1/2 months old, and my husband brought up the subject of night-weaning the other day when we were brainstorming about my general state of exhaustion, but it just doesn't feel like the right time at all with him.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
kendraself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my dd was sleeping with us she would wake up all the time to nurse. As soon as we put her in her crib she slept much better, and we slept much better. Most of the time she sleeps through the night or is only up once to nurse.

That worked for us anyway. It took her 2 nights to adjust to her own crib, but now she loves it!
kendraself is offline   Reply With Quote