Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about your homebirth that went wrong...

I am gearing up for a HBa2C. I am feeling very positive about it but would like to well educated on all rounds.

Would anyone be willing to share if you tried a homebirth but had to be transfered? What happened? I am curious if the dr is already there..Did you call on your way? Do they just knock you out for a section quick?

Advertisement

adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
cdiers
Registered Users

Re: Tell me about your homebirth that went wrong...

I also had a HVBa2C. Nothing went wrong though. I know you want stories that tell of transfers and whatnot. Everything went according to plan and was beautiful. I'll never deliver in a hospital again barring a life or death emergency. I am due in April and plan another home birth. Good luck to you and your family.
cdiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

I have a few friends who wound up transferring after planned HBs. Their stories are not so uplifting, though.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
kayben
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is not exactly what you mean either. But our 4th was born at home due to fast labor. It went well but we were totally unprepared (Obviously!!) She was in the Nicu for 2 weeks, but that was due to other issues. Good luck getting the answers you are looking for. I know MANY people who have had successful HB and the after C section part would certainly play in to your plans. I would imagine that you would have to have the Hospital alerted (just in case) Good luck!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

You probably know this, but most homebirth transfers aren't emergencies. Most of the time, its just baby or mom needs a little extra help, but its not a life or death thing.

We had a birthcenter birth the first time around and had planned a homebirth with my second son, but he was two weeks past his due date and there was some evidence that he might not be tolerating contractions very well during a non stress test. So we transferred before labor started for an induction. My midwife has a back-up doc who was the one who ordered the non-stress test, so she was already there. They broke my water and labor started a couple hours later. It wasn't exactly the birth I had envisioned, but it wasn't completely terrible either. The doctor was grumpy, some resident came in for the delivery and caught him, they insisted I lay down to push, lotsa people in the room for the birth, definitely a clinical atmosphere. But I LOVED our nurses, baby was put right onto my chest and no one took him away for a moment or did anything to/with him that I didn't want, and even though it was a weird environment to birth in I had an unmedicated vaginal delivery with no episiotomy and only the tiniest little tear, and I was so into my baby that I didn't too much care about all the craziness once he came. Truthfully, I did mourn for the birth experience I didn't get, but I also think the whole thing was pretty funny. And I'm hoping for my homebirth next time around.

Even if you do have to transfer, there is a good chance you can have a vaginal birth. Just because you don't get everything you want doesn't mean you can't have some of your birth plans turn out the way you hoped. If you do transfer, your midwife would let the hospital know you are coming so they will be ready for you. If it is a true emergency (again this is unlikely) and you require an emergency c-section, they would use a general anesthesia and you would be unconscious for your little one's birth. If it wasn't emergent, you would get a spinal so you could be awake.

Hope that sort of answers your question. I would talk to your midwife about her transfer procedure. Best wishes with your little one's birth!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still get a really bitter taste in my mouth when I talk about it, but here's how my situation went down. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, though.

Pregnancy issues that led to homebirth:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=201587

Homebirth ending in a transport:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=235523

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

I am doing the HBA2C too and discussed this in length w/ my MW. She told me that we will have the ideal transfer hospital (45mins away) and the emergency one (8 mins away). Most transfers are non emergency. About 3 months before my EDD she will call both hospitals and EMT's in my area. She will tell them that a woman is due in this time frame (no name given) and she is attending the HB as a CNM. She will talk to them and set up back up plans. So if we did have to transfer to the ideal hospital she would still be my MW in the hospital and deliver baring nothing major happening. If an OB was needed then she would act as my doula. If the EMT's arrived she would be allowed to go w/ me and it would happen quicker b/c they would already know her credentials and know that when she said something was wrong she was certified and they wouldn't have to reevaluate me and waste time KWIM? They would also know if someone called in that I was planning on the HB and that she is legal and their is nothing they can do so they may as well stay back out of the way unless she calls for backup. I guess crazy family members have called in the past for EMT help b/c they weren't comfy w/ the HB. Also, you must remember even in an emergency c/s they have to prep the room before you can be taken in so if something did happen they would probably still be prepping the room for me by the time I arrived.
I was also told that uterine rupture increases when induced and w/ pain meds. Are you doing a water birth? This is what I'm planning on doing.

I agree though, I like to be educated, but at the same time I'm only focusing on the positives
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a HVBA2C in March and it went relatively well except that i had to be transferred to the hospital after the birth. i lost a lot of blood and my blood pressure was 90/40. my feet were blue and for hours they could not get my bp up. i had to have a manual extraction w/ no pain meds, O M G that hurt worse than the 22 hour long labor and delivery!!! i had a nasty uterine infection and felt awful for weeks after. would i do it again? absolutely!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Even if you do have to transfer, there is a good chance you can have a vaginal birth. Just because you don't get everything you want doesn't mean you can't have some of your birth plans turn out the way you hoped. If you do transfer, your midwife would let the hospital know you are coming so they will be ready for you. If it is a true emergency (again this is unlikely) and you require an emergency c-section, they would use a general anesthesia and you would be unconscious for your little one's birth. If it wasn't emergent, you would get a spinal so you could be awake.

Hope that sort of answers your question. I would talk to your midwife about her transfer procedure. Best wishes with your little one's birth!
I am thinking a VBAC if I am transfered is not a possibility as the hospital doesn't allow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrie View Post
I still get a really bitter taste in my mouth when I talk about it, but here's how my situation went down. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, though.

Pregnancy issues that led to homebirth:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=201587

Homebirth ending in a transport:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=235523
Thank you. That was very helpful to read. to you Mama. That was about the same reason I had a c-section with Adrock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
I am doing the HBA2C too and discussed this in length w/ my MW. She told me that we will have the ideal transfer hospital (45mins away) and the emergency one (8 mins away). Most transfers are non emergency. About 3 months before my EDD she will call both hospitals and EMT's in my area. She will tell them that a woman is due in this time frame (no name given) and she is attending the HB as a CNM. She will talk to them and set up back up plans. So if we did have to transfer to the ideal hospital she would still be my MW in the hospital and deliver baring nothing major happening. If an OB was needed then she would act as my doula. If the EMT's arrived she would be allowed to go w/ me and it would happen quicker b/c they would already know her credentials and know that when she said something was wrong she was certified and they wouldn't have to reevaluate me and waste time KWIM? They would also know if someone called in that I was planning on the HB and that she is legal and their is nothing they can do so they may as well stay back out of the way unless she calls for backup. I guess crazy family members have called in the past for EMT help b/c they weren't comfy w/ the HB. Also, you must remember even in an emergency c/s they have to prep the room before you can be taken in so if something did happen they would probably still be prepping the room for me by the time I arrived.
I was also told that uterine rupture increases when induced and w/ pain meds. Are you doing a water birth? This is what I'm planning on doing.

I agree though, I like to be educated, but at the same time I'm only focusing on the positives
I will have to ask my MW more ?'s I guess. My MW isn't legal so I don't know how much more that complicate things. I am focusing on the positive but my curiosity needs to be filled as well.
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second was born at home. It was not the ideal birth, where everything went smoothly and my child didn't come into the world peacefully. He had heart decelerations and he needed to get out of their fast. The midwives found a postion for me to push in and we got him out as fast as possible. He got oxygen right away. I lost more blood than I should of and was given some meds. Not a hemorrage but more than I should have. I was given liquid chorlphyll and ended up throwing that up. I don't remember if that was before or after I passed out on the way back from the restroom. (I have passed out at other times in my life it is getting to where I have a history of it.) My midwife was right there and caught me and got me right back in bed. While it wasn't ideal, I realize had we been at the hospital, he would have been in the NICU for monitoring, we wouldn't have been able to stay together and I would have been highly monitored and perphaps encouraged to have a transfusion. So it really was good that we were home.

I am planning a birth center birth this time as we live 30 + minutes from the hospital VS 8 mins. At the birth center we will be so close that if they call an ambulance they will be there before we are ready to leave.

Jenn

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote