Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
quietdusk
Registered Users

I need some encouragement...

DD is due 01/13 so basically she could come any day now. I'm starting to freak out at the thought of delivery. I really want to do it w/o meds and don't have very much support from my family or my doctor.
I have a great book on natural childbirth with remedies used by midwives and such. It's called "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year." I already have some of the herbal tinctures recommended in the book as treatments for pain, stalled labor, etc.
I was hoping someone might be able to share their experience with natural childbirth and any natural treatments you may have used.
Any input is greatly appreciated and will go far towards calming my mind.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need some encouragement...

I'm due the 13th too ! I am going for a natural labor as well , both because I am going for a VBAC and it it best , but also I just want to do it naturally for my own reasons , I haven't done any classes , my hubby doesn't know enough about pregnancy labor or birth to be much help with me dealing with the pain either , although he will do what he can .

I know I can do it though , I went 24 hours natural with my son for one thing , plus I understand my body so much more and what happens during labor so I can remind myself that what is happening is pain with a purpose , what my body is doing and that it is ok .

I think you just have to have faith in yourself and trust you and your body , understand what is going to happen and keep reminding yourself why you want this . Good luck hun !

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
maddy
Registered Users
seller

Maddy's Mama here-Audrey's Grandma!
Ohh, it's really great that you are asking for encouragement! I had four babies and I was always pretty scared. I had an old fashioned old Dr. and a not very supportive husband. So I had four births with medical intervention - two epidurals and two with nitrous oxide. Still the best experience ever...easy to handle once I got to push and see my baby!
On December 14th my daughter had her first baby and it was incredible. She had been telling us that it is all natural and her body is strong enough to do what it was made to do. She had me, a great cousin and a midwife that was awesome. A short, short labour in the bath, membranes ruptured and Audrey was born 28 minutes later on the bathroom floor! She had to wait for the midwife to arrive and she really felt like pushing but Annie (her cousin) and I just stayed at her head helping her through each contraction. My daughter had the easiest birth I have ever heard of and I can't help but think it was partly due to her strong attitude about how she could do it.
Fear plays a big role in how we react so try to be calm and not afraid. You are going to see your baby soon! How exciting! Whatever happens...whether it is easy or hard, whether you have a natural birth or have intervention, your baby will be here soon and new babies are just the greatest!!!

Last edited by maddy; 01-02-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: mistake
maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama, first of all

ok so i just had my very first baby, totally natural and without any medication (although i did accept a topical lidocain shot for when they put my heplock in... i hate needles!), just over 3 weeks ago. everyone, and i mean EVERYONE i talked to told me i was crazy, i was stupid, i couldn't do it, i would chicken out, i wouldn't be able to handle it... you name it, i heard it. it actually pissed me off to the point where i would say i was going natural and when they'd pop off i'd just say "yeah well i don't condone drug use in newborns" and walk away or change the subject. but i did it, despite what anyone else said. just know this one thing: when you are to the point where you don't think you can handle anymore, you are almost there, and will be pushing soon. i was at 4cm and started buckling under the contractions and i told my DH i didn't think i could do it anymore, and 5 minutes later i was pushing! granted, i also had a freakishly fast labor, but you get the idea. you can do it mama. if you can, i would read a little of "natural childbirth, the bradley way" by susan mccutchinson... ok her last name is totally spelled wrong... but it gives you some insight to the emotional signposts of labor so you know what to look out for. you can do it mama!!! we all believe in you over here!

and just know, even if you do decide to have medications, that doesn't mean you failed, don't let it ruin your birth experience
Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
cokelush
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hang in there! My daughter is expecting my first grandchild on the 13th or 14th. (well, that's her due date anyway. lol.) so you are in good company!
My Kayleigh is going to try and go natural too - but you know... only you know what you can take pain wise. Go in there and just be aware of what your body is telling you. You'll know what to do.
Big hugs!
cokelush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
cheeky
Registered Users

My Mood:

i know what you mean, i'm intimidated and i'm not even due until july!
and i've already had two girls, both natural, although my first i was induced with pitocin but still no pain meds vaginal births. i had it set in my mind that i could do it. i had supportive people with me, but the doctor was all for the epidural before i even had hard contractions. luckily for me, my labor was pretty long and by the time it got intense the nurses and doctors had changed shifts and i ended up with good nurses who were willing to let me do what i needed.
in fact both times the nurses came back to me later and said they felt so refreshed to see a natural birth.

point is, you can do it. women have been doing this for as long as we've been around. whether it's medicated or not, do what your body is telling you.

with my first daughter, i used the birthing ball like it was my best friend, and with my second daughter, believe it or not, during my contractions i had to talk or almost jump around to cope with it. but i had it set in my mind before even before i went to the hospital that i knew i could do it. i told the doctor that if i absolutely needed it i would consider it, but i told them not to ask me if i wanted an epidural, i told them that i would let them know if i needed it. but i already had it in my mind that i wouldn't want it. i wanted to be there and also wanted to see just what my body could do.

for the next weeks to come i was pretty shocked that i went through with it, and my sense of confidence rose quite a bit. i don't know if that's how others feel after they have a baby, but it was something i was so afraid of doing that i wanted to really achieve it.

as far as what to do during labor, there are all sorts of things and vary from person to person and birth to birth. i had to be in silence with my first labor, and in my second i didn't care at all if there was noise. the second labor i was all about massages and movement, while the first i was more tense (which was probably why it lasted a lot longer) and was also restricted to the bed.
i'd suggest movement over everything, but definitely look up some ways to help your labor. =)
cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Hey Mama, we're due very close together. I'm due the 9th by U/S, the 15th by LMP. So who knows. Basically, SOON.

Anyway this is baby #4 for me (delivery #3, my first was twins) and I am just as nervous! I am not sure why. BTDT it seems like but every delivery is different. This time I'm giving birth in a birth center with midwives, instead of a hospital with doctors. Also, my other labors were induced and this one will be spontaneous. I'm stressed about getting my children to whoever is available to watch them, if I'll make it to the center (my other labors were very fast) if DH will be able to get home quickly, yadda yadda. And don't even get me started on the pain of labor. This baby is supposed to be bigger than my others and I hope it's not aweful trying to deliver him. My other babies came out quick. All I can think of with a large baby being delivered fast is "OWW!" LOL!

Okay! Well anyway I feel your nervousness. I doubt I calmed your fears very much but I think we can do it! I hope your L&D is quick and managable.
6 on the road
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
quietdusk
Registered Users

Thank you so much for all the replies! It makes me feel so good to know that there are other women who are going through and have gone through the same thing. I think telling them not to offer me an epidural is a good idea. I'll be happier if they give it to me if I happen to ask for it rather than try to push it on me.
And easy labor dust to all the other expectant mama's!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck mama! You can do it!!
My first was born with pitocin and stadol and epidural. This one we are planning for a home-waterbirth, and I'm actually excited! Grant it..that it's as far away as July. But right now..I'm totally at ease with going natural..I'll probably stress out the closer it gets..but I've heard nothing but good things about homebirths. Just try not to get stressed..hospitals and nurses got me really stressed last time..I think all the nervousness and the pitocin made it hard for me. This time..I have no choice right?? lol Anyway, keep your eye on the goal..a happy little baby!

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote