Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is sewing diapers cost effective?

First off, I have a full stash of prefolds and flats, so really, I could spend $0. But I'm doing more wool now and fitteds would be nice. I currently have two in diapers, newbie on the way.

I don't like flannel. Mutts and kissaluvs (for shape) were our newborn faves in the past. FSOT has mutts for $10. Been back and forth on how I feel about used. We prefer organic (or used therefore washed out), but even non-organic diapering material is so expensive! I hate sewing (or my back does at least) and would prefer to spend the time knitting woolies, but if I can save a bunch of $ I'll sew--just doesn't seem like I would? Anyone know the average cost to make a newborn or OS fitted out of say, OBV/OBF or OCV/OCF? I'd have to buy snap pliers or do closureless (but then I'd still be pinning and why not just use PFs? lol)

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Is sewing diapers cost effective?

Nb diapers would probably not be cost effective if you are looking at more expensive fabrics versus used. Nb rarely gets worn out before you are done with them. Bigger diapers I would say yes because, although used might initially be comparable, used wears out faster resulting in additional expense.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Not sure on the price but you could always convert your current prefolds to fitteds....you could even add snap in (or sewn but longer drying time...) inserts to make them more absorbent. For lots of info on sewing them check this out:
http://cdsewinglinks.blogspot.com.au...max-results=10
Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

maybe you could knit for trade? i wouldn't bother sewing nb dipes cuz they're worn for such a short time
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
Wanna3rd
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump2b View Post
Not sure on the price but you could always convert your current prefolds to fitteds....you could even add snap in (or sewn but longer drying time...) inserts to make them more absorbent. For lots of info on sewing them check this out:
http://cdsewinglinks.blogspot.com.au...max-results=10
Wow that link is great thank you for posting it!
Wanna3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I've sewn fitteds before and they were cost effective, but only because I shopped clearance fabrics locally and used coupons. If you buy expensive, organic diaper fabrics, you wouldn't save nearly as much.

I also enjoy the process. I like to sew, so spending time making diapers was fun for me. Doesn't sound like you enjoy it quite as much.

I also already have a sewing machine, serger, snap press, snaps, specialized presser feet, elastin, etc, etc. so if I sat down to sew diapers, my investment would only be fabric.

Even with all that said.....I prefer prefolds and flats. The fitteds don't come clean nearly as easily as my prefolds, and they eventually developed frustrating stink issues, so I don't use them anymore.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I sew all my diapers, I haven't bought premade in probably 5 years. It can be cheaper than even China cheapies but you have to find the right priced fabric. I absolutely love to sew so it is not only cheaper but enjoyable. However there are other considerations for me the biggest one is time. If you save $3 a diaper but hate every second sewing I don't think it is worth it. I was really surprised how much diaper more available diaper supplies are in stores now. Walmart has printed FOE for $1.00 (it isn't called FOE) and often times their dollar a yard fabric is cotton(I have found Birds eye, thick knit jersey and athletic wicking several times. JoAnn's and Hancock also carry lots of supplies and with coupons you can get awesome deals. It just depends what diapers you like and how worth it is to you.
Also I wanted yo say you don't need a fancy sewing machine, serger or lots of equipment. I have a 1941 singer that doesn't even have a zigzag stitch and a snap gun but there is not a diaper type I haven't made.