Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Jamie
Registered Users

Prenatal massage...

What would you expect from a prenatal massage?

My DH gave me a gift certificate to a local spa, enough for 3 prenatal massages; I had one today, and the experience was not what I expected. I'm curious if my expectations were too high.

(I'll post later what the actual experience was)

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
mamabear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prenatal massage...

Anytime I've had one, I've left the spa thinking that my 4yo could've done better.
mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
zazibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: sadoucir
seller

some places have a "preggo pillow" which i've never used myself, but i've given several massages using one (was an MT before i was a mom) and all the ladies seemed to LOVE it. other places that don't have the pillow do side lying massage, which in my opinion is NEVER as good as when you get to lay flat on your back or tummy. i did have one side lying massage while pregnant with my first child and it felt nice, but it really didn't compare to a massage in the normal position. you just can't relax the same way when you're laying on your side.
zazibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The massages that I had during my first pregnancy were great.. very relaxing! It all depends on who you are seeing. Maybe you can get a different therapist next time?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on the therapist.. some are great and some are... not. I had prenatal massage 2 times a week during my last pregnancy and had an excellent therapist so it was a great experience. I also had a few therapists and I could tell they were very new.. Make sure you are dealing with someone who is actually CERTIFIED in prenatal massage..
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
meadowsong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I enjoyed mine, but I only had one when I was exactly 40 weeks lol. From what I understand, they generally do not do the *deep* massages they can do when your not pregnant (at least this is what I was told when I had mine).
Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
Anytime I've had one, I've left the spa thinking that my 4yo could've done better.
I needed a massage and not a back rub. But at least it was a gift from a cousin so I didn't spend any money on it.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Jamie
Registered Users

I'm going to call the spa tomorrow and complain that they either stop advertising prenatal massage, or they actually start providing them.

I was told to straddle an office chair, and the masseuse rubbed my shoulders for 30 minutes. No head/shoulder support, and he didn't go lower than mid-back...I don't know about anyone else, but it's my LOWER back that hurts during pregnancy!!!! And, sorry, but my DH can rub my shoulders while I straddle an office chair, and it doesn't cost 30 euro!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I'm going to call the spa tomorrow and complain that they either stop advertising prenatal massage, or they actually start providing them.

I was told to straddle an office chair, and the masseuse rubbed my shoulders for 30 minutes. No head/shoulder support, and he didn't go lower than mid-back...I don't know about anyone else, but it's my LOWER back that hurts during pregnancy!!!! And, sorry, but my DH can rub my shoulders while I straddle an office chair, and it doesn't cost 30 euro!!
Wow! I can't believe they told you to do that! I had many at physical therapy which involved laying down with pillows to support my knees, back, and head. I was very comfortable. Though mine was a physical therapist doing it, I would assume that people who did pregnant mamas would know the stress you are feeling and make you as comfortable as possible.
I have a lot of non pregnant massages and I was never asked to 'be in a chair". I do know that as students in massage schools do massages in chairs if they are traveling and sometimes offices have people come in to do massages that way. I would not expect to have a 'spa' treat me in that way and I would definitely complain and get your money back or have someone else redo it.

So sorry for your bad experience! I wouldn't have liked that either!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

WOW! Omg, yes call and tell them that's not what a prenatal massage is.

I've never had one but I would expect it'd be better than that.

I soo wish I could have one right now, though. 39wks here. *sigh
6 on the road
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote