Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
babiesabove
Registered Users
seller

Line drying question

I've just started line drying most of our clothes. Yes I know the hot dryer is good for pul. So I'll run them through occassionally if it seems I need to.

The thing is I hung up a never worn first time washed diaper that had velour inner and several older dipes with velour inners. The new one is still really soft after line drying, but the others are all crunchy. Is this because of buildup or something?

Anyone know? Any other line drying suggestion or tips?

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Line drying question

I line dry all of our clothes, too, unless there has been a few days in a row of rain. I have lines in the basement but sometimes need more! I do not currently cd (#5 is due in Sept and #1-4 are all out of dipes!) I will cd #5 as soon as its born and plan to line dry its dipes as well. I do know from experience that clothes are a little crunchier after being line dried. But, after you play with them a bit, they soften up. I do not use fabric softner in with my regular clothes, I just fill a Downy ball to the fill line with white vinegar. I was told by my appliance repair guy that this is better for clothes, we have soft water and a septic. He said that vinegar helps repel stains, where fabric softner will hold them in more. I do have my NB stash of dipes and have washed all of those, luine drying most of them. But I have found that as I fold them, they tend to soften, or you could try to rumple them up a bit before putting them on your dc. I cd'd my other dc's and line dried most then, too. But, then again it was awhile ago and I used pfs and covers is all. Sorry to ramble, hope that helps!
Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Definitely don't use vinegar if you have hard water like me!!

Just "snap"/shake them a few times, and that should loosen the fibers. Sometimes I'll toss them in the dryer on air dry for a few minutes--that always seems to help "soften" them up!!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I line dry year round and, yes, they seem rough but I have yet for a child to complain.