Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you "expect" from a 15 month old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKelley View Post
I have heard a LOT of people talk about how horrible the 3's are. My son has been an angel (comparatively speaking) since the day he turned 3! For us, it was pure misery from 18 months until his 3rd brithday.
Oh you're lucky.... I have never been so glad to say goodbye to a phase in my life. My son was the meanest little 3 year old I have ever came across and I swear with his 4th birthday, he shed his evil skin and became my little angel again. I'm pretty sure demons took over his body from his 3rd b-day to his 4th.

Advertisement

Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
2crabs
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper'nDiva View Post

Because anyone dealing with the 3's just needs some, lol.
Thanks so much Gosh its awful...

Getting whacked and bitten a few times by my 1 year old is a walk in the park from a three year old...

But when you do only have one child going through each stage is a challenge when you've never done it before...

OP you will find what works through each stage as your LO experiences the world around him...

Just breathe....LOL I know sometimes what it can be like when your at the end of your rope...
2crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
pretty sure demons took over his body from his 3rd b-day to his 4th.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
2crabs
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh you're lucky.... I have never been so glad to say goodbye to a phase in my life. My son was the meanest little 3 year old I have ever came across and I swear with his 4th birthday, he shed his evil skin and became my little angel again. I'm pretty sure demons took over his body from his 3rd b-day to his 4th.
So theres hope....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
2crabs
Banned

My Mood:

Demons...Gosh isnt that the truth...

Its so embarrassing.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crabs View Post
So theres hope....
Yes! I never thought it would end... but I swear on his 4th b-day, I saw this "auro" disappear from his soul, LOL! Seriously though, we still have some residual demons but no where NEAR what they were like this time last year. I seriously have nothing but sympathy for mothers with a 3 year old... it's a scary time, lol.
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
ericahex
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine is 10 months and just hitting the toddler stage too, starting to throw tantrums over some things as well. I was surprised to find how well it really did work to let him know when I was about to change what he was doing - I was reading "the toddler whisperer" which pointed out we would never pick up and move, change, or feed another person without permission, why do we do it to toddlers. I thought yeah, right, my 10 month old doesn't understand.

But then I started spreading out his change pad, diaper, wipes, and rash cream on the floor, sitting down and calling his name, asking him to come get his bum changed. Wouldn't you know it, he picked up on what I was doing, started coming over to me and sitting quietly when I changed him, instead of screaming and having a full blown tantrum about it. Then when he would start wandering into another room at Grandma's I would gently call his name and tell him to come back here please. I would also put my hand out and use my fingers to encourage him to come back to mama. Well wouldn't you know it, he started coming back to me, no fight or anything. He might take a few extra seconds to do it, but he did it without the tantrums.

I'm just starting to read about GD and trying to find new signs that he will respond to, being amazed at how well it actually worked already.

Life at the Zoo
ericahex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
maryjane
Registered Users

Redirection is really the best thing you can do at that age. For hitting they aren't doing it to be mean, they are exploring boundaries and learning action/reaction. I just sit mine on the floor and say no hitting. I have 2 15 month olds right now. Our biggest issue right now is dragging chairs around to climb up to get something they shouldn't have. We haven't had many temper tantrums. I know they're coming though. Usually if mine cry and they aren't hurt they are tired.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice and input, it's been really helpful.
The redirection will definately work. Being consistant, setting boundaries I suppose.
I do need to give the 5 minute warning though, and try to NOT force him to get dressed, change a diaper (although I still use a changing table for him) and stop playing.

I guess another hurdle is "training" my DH to do the same. Sometimes, he doesn't want to get off the couch to redirect or stop an action that our toddler is doing (like hitting the dog) so he'll just say NO NO NO. Which is ridiculous, usually Finn will just laugh.

Can anyone recommend any books? Is the Dr Sears discipline book worth getting? I'm thinking my DH might respond better to a book rather then me "bossing him around". Oy.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
Nonie's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm right there with you FinnegansMom. My dd just turned 15 months and she tests us every second. We wonder where our angel went!!! For the most part, she is happy and smiling. When she is tired, watch out!!
We stayed at a hotel and she really was interested in the huge plug for the A/C unit. When she first touched it, we made the mistake of having a big reaction. So she continued to try and fiddle with it. We redrected her and tried to keep her from it. When she was "caught" she would smile huge and shrug her shoulders and wave at us. Man it is hard to not laugh!!! She is the ultimate manipulater! She knows that she is not supposed to touch but she can't help herself or something. When she is tired, you can look at her sideways and she melts down. She likes to head butt but that has slowed down after she came to the realization that it hurts her!! Sometimes she will lay down on the floor flat on her back in protest and we just let her. When she is done she can come and play again. She has this thing with opening drawers too. So instead of fighting it, we made a game out of it. She has learned "open" and "close".
I taught her some signs too and work on that constantly. She knows a lot of signs/words but can't do them herself yet. I think that has helped her.
Well, that was a bit of a tangent. I guess, I should have said, I am there, have asked the same question and got the same sort of responses as you are. I don't think it matters much whether you are only kids or not.....I had no idea either!!!!!! I was like WTH, she isn't 2 yet!!!!!! I am thoroughly scared of 3 now, however .
Nonie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote