Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
ericahex
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you "expect" from a 15 month old?

The ones recommended regarding gentle discipline for toddlers to me by a social worker and friends are books by Barbara Coloroso, "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood" by Jim & Charles Fay, and yes Dr Sears' discipline book.

Advertisement

Life at the Zoo
ericahex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #22
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you "expect" from a 15 month old?

I have a 15 month old. IMO your son is totally normal.

Does he talk at all? My son can only say a few words, but when my older son was 15 months old, he couldn't speak a single word and he SCREAMED every time he wanted something. I taught him to sign and he picked up on it very quickly and it worked well. We did have to remind him, "How do you ask?" and he would sign back to us, but after awhile the instant SCREAMING stopped. (Of course he still screamed during tantrums, etc.)

As far as being "defiant"--well, when your baby was younger, he was easily distracted by another toy, etc. and could forget easily. Now that he's older? Well, his brain is bigger and he's smarter! So he becomes more determined. I don't know what to tell you about climbing over baby gates (because for one, we don't have one and two, even though my baby likes to climb he is ultra short for his age so he's not very successful at it ) but as far as electrical cords, etc., baby proof! Most of our cords are out of reach and the one I have that is not is baby-proofed with this:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86200

All my kids went through a smacking phase (well, I can't really remember if my oldest did it.) If my son did hit me in the face, I immediately held his hand and would repeat, "Be easy," over and over, showing him how to stroke my face gently. Ideally, I would be fast enough to grab his hand before he planted it on my face and show him how to be gentle before he hit me. With others, if he would get close enough I warned them that he was in a hitting phase and I told them what to do with him.

Anyway, your baby is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you could find a little something helpful in this thread.