Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
luminajd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you shovel your walkway for the mail carrier?

We do, we have gotten nasty notes from the letter carrier saying they will not deliver our mail unless the walkway is clear. Explain this to me when the letter carrier tromps through 6 inches of snow across my lawn to make their route shorter, yet they want the 3 feet of walkway clear to the mailbox.
Jessica

Advertisement

luminajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Corey3739
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie&Logan'sMommy View Post
yes, i do for him plus also if someone slips and falls infront of your house without it being shoveled you can be liable for injuries. Plus i want my mail LOL
We don't since the mail carrier walks across the yard anyway.

My parents actually checked into the liability rules with snow shoveling because the school bus stop is right in front of their house. Their insurance agent told them if they DID shovel the sidewalk that it was showing that they were taking responsibility of it's condition and could be sued if someone slipped but if it didn't get shoveled then they would be ok if someone fell. I don't know if it makes a difference that the sidewalk is near the street I would hate for them to have been given bad information.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
ericahex
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Its just common courtesy to shovel, and like someone mentioned you can get a fine. I guess if its not that much you could throw some salt down instead. I mean if we're only talking an inch of snow here your mail man is being a bit of a wimp! They do have the right to not deliver your mail though if theres anything obstructing them, or if say theres a big mean dog tied to the front porch.
Yeah it's not a huge deal, I will end up shoveling it once we have a shovel, it just seemed a bit silly. Here in Canada we have 6 months of winter, just last week we had a big snowstorm and a couple feet of snow and nothing was mentioned. But right now there's barely a dusting and like I said, I've carried my sleeping toddler through it from the car and he didn't even wake up. I do think he's being a wimp but c'est la vie.

I'm sure mail carrying is a hard job so if I can make it easier I'm sure I will. It's the right thing to do anyway.

Life at the Zoo
ericahex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

We were gone between boxing day and last Sunday and it snowed while we were gone. the day I got home I found a letter from the mail man asking us to shovel. I was a little p*ssed and insulted b/c we have lived here for 4 years and have always been very anal about shoveling We are usually the first ones out there clearing away snow and we also work hard at maintaining our snow banks (we get a WHOLE LOT of snow LOL). I've also always shoveled a little path for the mail man to step in to reach the mail box and the mail box is only 2 feet from the edge of the driveway.

That's it... He can put his foot in snow to reach the mail box for 2 weeks b/c I'm childish & petty that way
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
ericahex
Registered Users

My Mood:

So we got another message on our envelope today "mail delivery will be halted until you clear your walkway".

So sorry I didn't take my 10 month old son and hike all the way out to Canadian Tire in this weather just to buy a shovel so the mail carrier wouldn't have to walk 4 feet on a path that's practically cleared by our foot steps already.

Happy New Year to you too buddy!

Life at the Zoo
ericahex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

We are required by law to shovel our walks, too, but they don't back it up very well, LOL. We try to shovel ours, I like our mail lady quite a bit and I know if I were her I wouldn't want to fall just because someone didn't shovel their walkway.
So, yeah, I try. She generally walks through our yards anyway but I don't want to be liable if ANYONE falls on my sidewalk and eats concrete.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we don't need to where our mailbox is, but we DO shovel for the oil man! My husband delivers oil during the winter, and it is SUCH a pain in the butt when people don't shovel a path to the oil tank. Sometimes, he'll go to a call, and no one will be at the house, and he can't even see the oil tank there is so much snow. If your oil guy can't find your tank, you can't get oil!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #18
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't . ...Our mailperson doesn't even get out of the car as all our boxes are on the side of the road . . . .that and if we get snow it's gone by noon.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

Yes, Itis the law here
Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
TheMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our mail carrier drives and will not deliver the mail if she can not drive right up to the box w/o having to get out. She also beeps her horn when I have packages, she hates to get out of her Jeep. That said, she did not get a gift this year