Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I must not scratch *insert banghead icon here*

OMG why are my nipples itching. I love bfing but recently my nipples have started itching and it is driving me mad. Anybody else have itchy nipples? What causes it? What helps it? Because this "I will not scratch" mantra I keep repeating is not really doing much for me Can we get a boobscratch icon? I'm IDNO one at this point

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: I must not scratch *insert banghead icon here*

I too had itchy nipples! Try using a cream on them. It should help. I use Medela Purelan. Works great. Do you use nursing pads? What kind?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooooh, sounds like yeast, mama. Get some liquid acidophilus from the health food store to coat your nipples with. Check baby's mouth for redness or white spots.
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
janstar11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa View Post
Ooooh, sounds like yeast, mama. Get some liquid acidophilus from the health food store to coat your nipples with. Check baby's mouth for redness or white spots.
my thoughts exactly!! Don't let it linger, if it's yeast it will spread and be a nightmare. I'm not trying to be alarming but take it from me, I've been there... it's no fun! Try cutting back on sugar, dairy and yeasty stuff in your diet too.
I hope it's just itchy nips and not the dreaded thrush!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis&AbramsMom View Post
I too had itchy nipples! Try using a cream on them. It should help. I use Medela Purelan. Works great. Do you use nursing pads? What kind?
I don't use nursing pads. Or wear bras. Can't stand them. Closest I get is a built in bra and then only if I am going to see my grandma. Is the Medela Purelan just 100% lanolin, like oily. Or is it creamy? Is it ok for baby to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa View Post
How much is acidophilus? Is it at any health food store? Is it ok for baby? I don't see any redness or white spots in her mouth, but the beady things on my aeriola (spelling is off, I know) are red but that might be from scratching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstar11 View Post
Try cutting back on sugar, dairy and yeasty stuff in your diet too.
I hope it's just itchy nips and not the dreaded thrush!
sugar dairy

Does that include yogurt? Or is yogurt good for getting rid of yeast? Are yeast on nips and thrush the same thing?

I'm sure y'all can tell it, but I am a first time BFer. . . Thanks so much for all the help and advice.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeast is SUPER itchy. Oy. I think the yeast can show up around the diaper area as well as around the mouth. Yeast and thrush is the same thing. I might call your Dr to confirm - they can probably recommend something safe for the both of you or what the PP's recommend. try your best NOT to itch though, keep clean and dry - I think yeast in general grows best in moisture.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnegansMom View Post
Yeast is SUPER itchy. Oy. I think the yeast can show up around the diaper area as well as around the mouth. Yeast and thrush is the same thing. I might call your Dr to confirm - they can probably recommend something safe for the both of you or what the PP's recommend. try your best NOT to itch though, keep clean and dry - I think yeast in general grows best in moisture.
Yeah, yeast grows best in warm moist places. I got yeast infections a lot when pg with DD#2. I wonder if thrush/ yeasty boobies is a sign of pregnancy when BFing. . .
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

My actual BREASTS are really itchy, and not my nipples. Just it being winter or the air being dryer might make it even more itchy on top of the trush if you do have it.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom View Post
My actual BREASTS are really itchy, and not my nipples. Just it being winter or the air being dryer might make it even more itchy on top of the trush if you do have it.

I have to keep Aveeno on hand because my breasts are so itchy.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My nips itch if they are dry, i.e. dd nurses a bunch for a day or so, teething too long/short a shower, kwim? I use Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter and it is AWESOME!! A littel pricy, but one tub and I haven't bought a replacement yet. My local health food/grocer has it. But I think most people have to go online to get it. And most stuff from Medela is very safe you and baby to use. I have Purelan here, used before I got the Nipple Butter. Worked just fine.

Ohh!! I just thought, maybe the local obgyn or midwife offices might have free samples?? You really don't need much...just a thought. HTH and GL!!

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote