Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
EnjoyingLife
Banned for Trolling

Lame question

I was curious as to how much formula a baby uses in a week in their different stages of life? Preferably powder...and is the store brand formula as good as the name brand? And, if its not too noisy, how much do you pay for formula a month (and which formula do you use?)

Next question: if you use disposables, how many should I expect to use in a week?

Advertisement

EnjoyingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lame question

I would say about a can a week (the large-sized can) It goes up and down, less at the beginning and then less after baby takes lots of solids...but it is a good average. There are a lot of restrictions on formula, and after researching I'm pretty confident that any brand is good, but one w/DHA and ARA is preferable. I used Walmart brand (Parent's Choice) w/both my girls. It's like half the cost of name-brand. Costco brand is even a little cheaper then that, but I don't go to Costco much. As far as diapers, I used sposies w/my first daughter, and it was 5-7 diapers a day. Now I use pocket diapers, and I use the same number per day. (BTW I LOVE them, and you should at least give it a shot-- they really aren't much work, or I never would have started using them! ) Hope all that helps!
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the smaller powder cans from WIC and we go through 2-3 or so a week...he is 4 months old...he's a chunky butt though and he's really long...plus he eats babyfood in a feeder...to fill him up so he wont eat alot...some days he ca eat 3 4oz bottles in a 7 hour period and other days he will eat a 8oz and 4 oz all day...and will get mad if you wake him up to eat. He is different different days. With one of my daughters I used the Parent's Choice kind and she grew and progress the same...nothing was wrong with her...she was good weight and good height (sometimes over ) My son doesn't pee alot so I dont use alot for that...he poops once or twice a day usually...so every other week I could buy a big box of huggies and it would work...(I still use them since I only have one dipe for him so far)...it will usually last the 2 weeks if not it lacks just a couple days til I would have made the 2 week mark for them.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DD was small I used 10-15 diapers a day (sposies, did start to CD until she was 9 months old). I probably could have technically left her in them longer, but leaving them on can give them potential problems in the nether regions. Plus, newborns really seem to poop a lot. As they get older you use less diapers. I would have been spending about $50 a month to diaper DD in ones that gave her the least rash (she's sensitive to sposies).
Not sure on formula from experience, but my cousin had her son on some kind from Great Britain because he was allergic to every kind we had here in the US back in '03. He had 8 cans a month at $65 a can, but WIC covered 6 cans. Can't remember the size though, it was a powder. I started off as a breastfeeder because I'm cheap and also qualified for $0 assistance when I was a single mom. My 2nd DD would have been on the expensive formulas due to dairy sensitivity/soy intolerance. Keep in mind that some babies do end up on the more specialized formulas, we have mamas on here who's kids are, and they are very expensive. You just can never be sure of what baby will need.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS was FF'd and averaged 8 cans a month.. he ended up on Nutramigen, but thankfuly WIC covered 8 cans, and we rarely needed to buy more. He was sposied for the first couple of months, and we probably used about 8-10 a day. Now that they are older (12 and 23 months) we can get by on 4-6 a day, altho we only use them if were going to be out of town, or the kids are going to Grandmas' or w/e (the family is cloth-phobic). But I have NO clue on cost, since we pretty much never buy them ( family provides them, since its them who want to use them).
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we were using sposies (the first 2-3 months) we would go through 1 big box a month typically around $40.

Formula depended on what stage he was in like other ppl said. Usually 1 large can a week. Some times a little more/less depending. DS could use any so we typically used what I had coupons for. Usually similac with DHA and ARA, or Enfamil. I think all of them are pretty compariable (store/name brands). I didn't see huge savings(@least here) on using store brands especially if you could get coupons.

I personally wouldn't use one that didn't have the DHA and ARA, but I am sure they are fine too, formula has come along way since we were kids. It really helped make me feel better knowing that, since the whole BF"ing thing just wouldn't pan out. I found IMO the powdered goodstart was harder to mix than similac or enfamil. It did seem to help DS poop better for a while when he was constipated. I have talked with some mommas who said their children reacted differently to the same formula depending on what format it was in (RTF, concentrate or powdered) So keep that in mind too.
Hope that helps some!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Around here, if you buy a big can of Enfamil or Similac at the grocery store it's about $26. If you buy the same can at Walmart or Target I think it's about $23. Similac has an organic formula now that is, I think, about $3 more per can. A same-size can of Parent's Choice (Walmart Brand) is around $12, so about half. Or you can buy the Parent's Choice Organic (no pesticides, antibiotics, or growth hormones used) for about $15. Enfamil and Similac lure you in with big coupons in the early weeks, but then it trickles down to a $1 coupon here or there. Totally not worth spending twice as much for a name brand IMO.

If I remember right, at his peak DS was finishing a can like that every 5 days or so. Probably 1 a week by the time he was eating a lot of solids. So your cost could range anywhere from $50 a month for 4 cans of the non-organic store brand, to $130 for 5 cans of the name brand if you buy at the grocery store. And the sky is really the limit if you wind up with a baby who needs special stuff.

Oh, and sposies. I buy the Target brand, $14 for a big box. It would probably last around 2 weeks for full time sposie use.

Last edited by momtojande; 01-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I read somewhere (sorry I don't remember where) that for each lb a child weights they should be getting 2.5 oz of formula per day for example

your lo weights 10lbs, they should be getting 25oz per 24hours.

once you introduce solids the #'s change a bit but I don't remember how much

my 20lb 8 month old gets 4 - 8oz bottles a day, mealtimes and before bed. she also gets cereal at breakfast, and some solids at meal time.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.babyslumber.com/articles/...y-be-drinking/
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I use Enfamil Lipil with my DD (3.5weeks). We go through a 12.9oz can every 3days.

Around here a 12.9oz can sells for $13, a 25oz can sells for $26 and a 38oz can from cosco sells for $32. Cosco also has a generic form of the Enfamil with Lipil that sells for $20 for 48oz.

Also, my Dr told me that as long as your lo doesnt have any sensitivities, that you can switch their formula regularly to buy whatever is cheapest. IMO I wouldnt do this until they were at least 6 weeks old or so, but it is nice to know that if money is really tight one week, a can of the generic wont hurt the baby.

Once my babe is 6 weeks old, I am going to switch her to the generic cosco version I think. That should be around the time that Enfamil stops sending me checks to discount their formula too. Right now, if I buy it on sale and use the checks (between $5 and $7 per can), its not much more than the generic per ounce.

HTH

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote