Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Calliope
Registered Users

Re: Weekly Menu?

Oh, thought you might want to sneak a peak at a meal plan. Here's mine for the week....let me know if you want a recipe!

F: Noodles and Broccoli (kiddo favorite and so simple and healthy!)

S: Roast Turkey (got a great deal at thanksgiving! Will freeze leftovers), mashed potatoes, green beans

S: Soup Day! Tomato/Bean/Pasta Soup

M: Roasted Balsamic Pork Tenderloin, Grilled Zucchini

T: Crockpot Meatball Veggie Soup

W: Veggie Tacos, Spanish Rice

T: Wonton Soup (a great make-ahead with the leftover pork from Monday), steamed edamame

Obviously I do Th - Th meal planning. While I don't normally schedule side dishes, I usually have lots of veggies in the fridge and freezer so I just pull from that when the main course is cooking (unless I have something planned of course). For some reason I have a lot of side dishes planned this week!

Thought of one more thing.....Maybe assign your hubby with a night? My DH is super picky, and it never has worked to have him in charge of a night (can you say McDonalds?), but if your DH is up for it, that would help, too!

Advertisement

Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I need to do this. I feel like my life is out of control on time managment/organization and meals!

I'll get back to this!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Calliope
Registered Users

Hmm...still thinking about this....

Anyone willing to start sharing their weekly menus? I like the Menu Monday the pp listed, but it's too overwhelming for me.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Tess
Registered Users
seller

This is completely amazing! I don't know why I didn't get into this years ago. Thanks so much for your help. I would like to see other sample menus from other Mama's. So far this has been extremely helpful.
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Tess
Registered Users
seller

Assigning DH a night is a great idea. He's a pretty good cook *though not as good as me hee hee* and I think he would like this. He was looking at me like I was insane last night when I was talking about doing this.. He'll get used to it and I'm sure he will enjoy all the $$ we'll save.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I copied this from somewhere, I don't remember where though -

Weekly Meal Planner

Monday: Pasta
Tuesday: Chicken or Turkey
Wednesday: Beef or Pork
Thursday: Soup
Friday: Pizza and a movie night
*Delivery or make your own, and rent a video
Saturday: Sub sandwiches for Lunch
"Family Favorite" for Dinner
Sunday: Crock-pot, or one dish skillet supper

Note: Family Favorites are things like hamburgers and fries, tacos, steak and cheese subs, more "casual style" food

Valerie
val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
april-2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's our menu for this week (if i can remember, lol):

Su: Apple Butter Pork Loin (from allrecipes.com) my local store had them half off this week. Mashed potatoes and steamed veggie - on Sundays I either fix a meal I couldn't fix during the week (b/c of time contraints) or we eat with the in-laws

M: Leftover Pork Loin

Tu: Don't know the name of it - Baked chicken with swiss cheese, soup/wine sauce, stuffing - green beans, rolls

W: Crock pot BBQ Chicken tenders - cheesy broccoli, cauli, carrots

Th: either spaghetti w/sauce or a zataran's rice mix (I have frozen ground beef to use)

F: I can't remember and my list is at home, but we'll say Cubed steak w/gravy (country style steak) just for fun.. b/c I know I have the steak in the freezer.

Sa: something simple - either order in or frozen pizza, chicken tenders, etc... this is our lazy day

My menu was pretty simple this week. The Tuesday chicken was a new recipe for me. The rest are all things I've fixed before. I have quite a few things I rotate around.

Oh, and I use my crock pot quite a bit. Often that gives me enough for leftovers one night and sometimes more to freeze!

Another thing I do to help with menu planning when I'm going to have a rough week is almost have a theme week... so for example if 'fresh' chicken is on sale, I'll get it and cook it up with taco seasoning or something like it and then one night we'll make quesadillas and another night we'll have chicken tacos. you use kind of the same ingredients for both. and then sometimes a 3rd night of enchilladas. Two packs of chicken ($5-6 total) will easily get me through all 3 nights (at our house) and I don't waste it or forget to freeze it...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
Hmm...still thinking about this....

Anyone willing to start sharing their weekly menus? I like the Menu Monday the pp listed, but it's too overwhelming for me.
TFS! This thread should be a sticky!!! This is EXACTLY what has been weighing on my mind with trying to get organized, meals are on the TOP of my list! Keep the menus coming please, it's nice to see examples, it's so hard when you are starting out... seems very overwhelming.

PS I finally started a binder too last month because I have SO many pages torn out of magazines and my recepie box just seemed so disorganized. I HIGHLY recommend getting a simple binder with sections, and get those little colored flags. I use the flags as a color coded guide to what I want "to try", "favs", etc... HTH!!
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Calliope
Registered Users

Ok, here's mine for the next week:

F: Lemon Garlic Turkey Breast Roast
S: Homemade Pizza
S: Turkey Soup with Dumplings
M: Shake n Bake Chicken
T: LoMein
W: Spaghetti
Th: Breakfast for Dinner

Thanks everyone for sharing...I've enjoyed looking at everyone's ideas!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
Tess
Registered Users
seller

I have to admit, though originally intimidated and skeptical, using a menu is an amazing idea. My children will eat nearly anything I put in front of them because it's on the menu. Not only that, but I have become much more organized with shopping/using my coupons. Not only that, but DH is really excited about seeing what's coming up and helping me out with ideas. I highly recommend doing this!
I set up a primitive model on excel, but I found that using the calendar on Google was much better when the calendar was set to "agenda".