View Poll Results: Has pregnancy changed your food choices completely?{Read post first please}
Yes. I was a meat eater and now I only eat veggies. 3 6.98%
Yes, I was a vegetarian, but now I eat meat. 1 2.33%
Yes it has changed, but not drastically 13 30.23%
No, I eat exactly the same way I always have 13 30.23%
Yes it has changed, but I was put on a diet by my dr. or dietician. 2 4.65%
Yes, it has changed but I am the one that changed my eating habits for pregnancy. 11 25.58%
Other. Please Explain 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Has pregnancy changed your food choices completely?

I am just wondering if anyone else has had their food choices completely changed by pregnancy. I don't mean by choice, but rather the baby/pregnancy won't let you eat it or want it. {Like you throw up just thinking of it, etc}

I was a total meat eater before getting pregnant. I have noticed with every pregnancy that I get more and more veggie centered. I love veggies, but I also LOVE meat! The problem is that I can't eat any meat at all now. I was eating grill chicken or baked chicken. {bland} but now that isn't even happening. I get horrible stomach cramps if I eat meat. I loved steak until this pregnancy and now the smell or thought of it gets me very ill.
Am I the only weird one that has gone completely the other direction in their eating and didn't do it myself?
I am now a Vegetarian,, but not my choice.
I even tried to eat shrimp the other night and got VERY sick in the bathroom.

I also can't seem to get enough yellow corn, asparagus, salads, cucumbers, etc. I can eat potatoes and try to in soups. {Potato soup}. I was craving eggs, but not now.

So.. what are you doing now?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has pregnancy changed your food choices completely?

ugh yes it sure has. i normally try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies. now that i'm pregnant i can hardly stand vegetables i prefer meat grains now a days. and i haven't been very good about staying away from sweets either. bad momma.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
mreid14
Registered Users

When I was pregnant, I made a conscious effort to eat more fruits and veggies, but I also didn't shy awa y from the sweets. I also couldn't eat ground beef or pizza. The smell alone made me ill. And I craved eggs, too, but I've always been a big egg-eater!

I can only get online if I'm NAK, so please excuse any typos!
mreid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
labrae
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds like your children are telling you they want to be vegetarians!! (I'm a vegetarian, so I'm a little biased) Try hard to get good recipes, there are tons of interesting cookbooks out there, or even Vegetarian Times, so you're not eating boring food. I don't know if this would be helpful, but the Quorn brand cutlets taste a lot like chicken, but are vegetarian, so if you could keep those down, it might help with the missing meat?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
hidden_star
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not pregnant now, or atleast I don't think so, but even after 6 months, I still can hardly eat meat without getting sick, not that it upsets me too much, but I do love to get my protein, so I crave meat sometimes, but if I eat it, then I get sick about 99% of the time
Christmas 2012 baby!
hidden_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

I always have been (well, for 14 yrs now) and always will be a vegetarian, pregnancy won't ever change that for me.
BUT, I have a friend who was a vegetarian for 10 yrs and then with her first pregnancy, she became a meat eater! She said she just craved meatloaf and couldn't help it!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My eating has changed but not alot. I use to not like steak at all - maybe had it once a year when dh was really in the mood for it but that is all I am craving lately. I nice steak with fried onions and mushrooms -yummy!! Before I would never eat it lol! I can't really think of anything else I'm craving a lot but the steak is huge for me.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Oh yes! I was a huge chicken eater....I havent eaten it, cooked it, looked at it in....like 6 weeks. Blah. Actually I ate some yesterday...and it wasnt bad. But, it wasnt GREAT either...
I'm definitely more into the veggies and carbs these days.

ETA: However, I can do seafood. Infact, I am craving it!

Last edited by OneFabMama; 01-04-2008 at 04:49 PM.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrae View Post
It sounds like your children are telling you they want to be vegetarians!! (I'm a vegetarian, so I'm a little biased) Try hard to get good recipes, there are tons of interesting cookbooks out there, or even Vegetarian Times, so you're not eating boring food. I don't know if this would be helpful, but the Quorn brand cutlets taste a lot like chicken, but are vegetarian, so if you could keep those down, it might help with the missing meat?
DS is on a mostly Vegan diet. {He has epi pen severe allergies to Eggs, Soy, Milk protein, and a host of other things}. I do try to give him meat,, hence my former meat eater self! I am literally just afraid that he wasn't getting enough food/etc because he is on rice milk and had so many food allergies he wasn't eating a lot. He was also almost bottom of the chart in weight. So I tried to push meat for that. It has helped but he still prefers veggies too.
DH was a veg. before we met. I was a bad habit on him and he started eating meat and sweets again. Now we are going the other way and I think he is jumping for joy!

I don't like the taste/smell of chicken.. that is why I am complaining. I literally 'can't ' eat any meat {chicken, steak, pork, etc} as I get physically sick and stomach cramps if I make myself. This baby definitely doesn't want meat.. just like his daddy and older brother. The way I have been sick... I am not sure I will ever eat meat again either.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
JeanieNGmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i eat the same way i allways have. i like to eat healthy pregnant or not..

we also have a sweet tooth (dh and i) so we have goodies in the house as well sometimes but not all the time since we are on a budget