Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Hafa Adai, from Guam!*Pic Heavy*

Hello fellow CD mammas! I 've been a member for some time but never got around to doing this...

My name is Amanda I'm a semi crunchy BWing, CDing, CSing, BFing SAHM and I live on the beautiful island of Guam. Guam is a U.S. territory in the middle of the south pacific. I'm an ex-Navy brat my dad retired here on Guam but moved to the Marshal islands then to Washington state. Growing up in the Navy I've lived in many different places but I was born in the Philippines. My mother is Filipino and my father is a mutt. Dh has a similar childhood when it comes to traveling. He grew up on a 50' sailboat that his parents built with 3 sibs and sailed to many places in the world. He ended up here on Guam and we met through mutual friends. Our dream is to also cruise around the world with our LO's. So far I've only been out to sea on a 24' sailboat for 7 days. DH and I have been married for two years together going on nine, Yep we're high school sweet hearts

Dh and I welcomed our first child on Sep.20th, 2007. A beautiful baby girl DH and I named Evie , "V" for short or most of the time we call her Chinky. Which is short for Cheese stinky,lol because for some reason she always smells like parmesan cheese from her spit ups.

Dh and I prepared ourselves for a UC water birth but transfered to hosp. after 18 hours of labor (22 total). This was our first baby so we wanted to make sure everything was alright. I was still so happy to labor at home for as long as I did. I do believe that had a lot to do with why I never needed any pain meds. I'd still home-birth in the future and in water again for sure. Helped me deal with much of the 1st stage of the labor pain.

Well I never in my wildest dreams ever thought how mother hood would change me. At first I had a light case of the postpartum blues and now being SAHM has it's ups and downs but I trully believe that becoming a mom has transformed me into the woman I've always dreamed of being. I'm in Love with Life

Maternity Art... A hobby I probono with a non-profit org. out here on Guam. They promote natural family living and I do maternity art for them to help 1st time mama's enjoy and immortalize their pregnancy and bond with the new life growing inside them. At the same time what I do for these mamas is to help prevent or lessen the effects of perinatal/postaprtum depression. It's been my passion and a part of what defines me. I've been doing this since I was 14 yrs old and will continue to do it till my cycle here has ended.

Advertisement

Last edited by FreeLove; 06-27-2008 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added info
FreeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hafa Adai, from Guam!

i married my High School Sweetheart too!
Thanks for posting your fascinating intro!
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hafa Adai, from Guam!

Thanks mama! I just added some pics...enjoy!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hafa Adai, from Guam!*Pic Heavy*

What a beautiful family you have!!! I'm Filipina but I'm American born...sadly I haven't made a trip to the Philippines yet.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedgyal View Post
What a beautiful family you have!!! I'm Filipina but I'm American born...sadly I haven't made a trip to the Philippines yet.
Aww, thank you! DH and got married in the PI and that was the first time I had been back to my birth place since I was 6 years old. It was super cheap to get married there. I got my dream wedding, real flowers, decoration, custom made dress, catering, the works for less than $4,000. That even with the our plane tickets included. Just DH and our tickets and of course Guam is much closer to the PI. You should definitely find the time to go. Every one speaks english there so you don't have to worry about learning Tagalog but it does help if you know it. You get better deals that way. I hope to have my Ate's make my DD a bunch of cloth dipes when we go back this spring.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
MammaKoz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Welcome! I think I 'know' you from the UC forums on MDC?

Is that a Mei Tai you are using in one of your pics? Your DD is beautiful btw!

Last edited by MammaKoz; 01-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
MammaKoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow~you all make one gorgeous family. It must be so awesome to live in Guam! I all your pics. Welcome to DS

ETA: Cute kitties!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah! you gave me another reason to use my near wall size world map- to look Guam up! I loved hearing your story and seeing your pics- what a pretty mama you are and your babe is so sweet! I love your artwork! So glad you joined the community- I have learned so much from these ladies!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Carly's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Mama! Welcome!

We are moving to Guam in 2009! We're also planning to get PG and have our next child while we're there, so I would LOVE to talk with you and find out about resources available for doulas/midwives, home birthing, etc.

Your pix are BEAUTIFUL! What an adorable preggo mama you made and look at that adorable baby!!!
Carly's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamas! I'm just so happy to share my blessings : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly's Mommy View Post
Hey Mama! Welcome!

We are moving to Guam in 2009! We're also planning to get PG and have our next child while we're there, so I would LOVE to talk with you and find out about resources available for doulas/midwives, home birthing, etc.
Jerae> Wonderful! Guam is so layed back. Well for one Guam is a very small island. You can drive around the whole thing in 3 hours, that is if you don't stop anywhere. It's the tropics so expect it to be sunny and humid but lush and breezy. There isn't much to offer so it takes families with lots of creativity to find some wholesome entertainment unless your in the military where there is more provided for families. If your interested in getting scuba certified it's a lot cheaper out here and a great family activity. Visiting other asian countries is much cheaper from here too. DH and I went to Bali for only $499 with hotel and transportation. Just letting you know organic produce is kinda pricey out here unless you have access to the base commissary or grow it yourself. Also just FYI there are very few museums, the Government hardly has the money to fund the public school system let alone anything educational. But don't worry if your in the military there are very good DODEA schools out here. I went to one for high school. Reading this you must be thinking how could I live out here but if you ask anyone who lived out here then moved away, they always feel like coming back someday. This place is magical sometimes, the people close knit very friendly. And if you want your child to grow up knowing the world then Guam is the place to be. Guam is literally a melting pot of the world but because it is so small everyone is forced to take notice of each other. So if you like to just lounge under a tropical breeze and have sand squish between your toes while lean against a palm tree and cuddle with a good book as you listen to your kids laugh and play in the surf of the philippine sea then by all means come out and live the relaxed life where there are no freeways, you can accidently leave your car door unlocked and not worry, and only have one set of clothes for one type of climate.

If you would like to find out more info on preinatal support on Guam check out this website: http://islandfamilies.tripod.com

It's this non-profit org. I'm in that helps promote and support natural family living. We'd be happy to another grass roots mama join our membership. We're the only outlet for home-birthing and doulas. I don't know to much about getting midwives for home-births out here but we can help you find out what you need to. We also help with natural family planning.

Last edited by FreeLove; 01-06-2008 at 07:30 PM.